Nested forms example is beyond me!

Can anyone help me with the Nested forms example please? Nested forms - AppSheet

I cannot see anything that makes it tick. The only novel thing I have discovered is โ€˜source: nestedโ€™ but I cannot figure out how to set that (or maybe โ€˜nestedโ€™ is just the appโ€™s name?).

Any pointers on where to look are much apprecited.

Solved Solved
0 2 1,040
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @ed_day, Nested forms are a side product of references

Basically, when you create a Ref type column in a table, and point it to another table, youโ€™re creating a parent-child relationship, the child is the one that has the ref column in it, the parent table is the one to which the reference is pointed to.

To represent this relationship, AppSheet automatically creates a virtual column in your parent table called โ€œRelated (something)โ€

When you add a new row in your parent table, you get the option of adding new rows to your child table as well as a consequence of this relationship and the presence of the โ€œRelated (something)โ€ virtual column that was created automagically in this process.

For example, if you had table โ€œFruitsโ€ and table โ€œBasketโ€ you would create a ref column in table โ€œFruitsโ€ pointed at โ€œBasketโ€, so that when you create a new row in your โ€œBasketโ€ table, now you can add โ€œFruitsโ€ to it !

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @ed_day, Nested forms are a side product of references

Basically, when you create a Ref type column in a table, and point it to another table, youโ€™re creating a parent-child relationship, the child is the one that has the ref column in it, the parent table is the one to which the reference is pointed to.

To represent this relationship, AppSheet automatically creates a virtual column in your parent table called โ€œRelated (something)โ€

When you add a new row in your parent table, you get the option of adding new rows to your child table as well as a consequence of this relationship and the presence of the โ€œRelated (something)โ€ virtual column that was created automagically in this process.

For example, if you had table โ€œFruitsโ€ and table โ€œBasketโ€ you would create a ref column in table โ€œFruitsโ€ pointed at โ€œBasketโ€, so that when you create a new row in your โ€œBasketโ€ table, now you can add โ€œFruitsโ€ to it !

Exactly what I needed thanks!

Top Labels in this Space