New 'Database' feature fails to carry over input types and formulas from App Editor.

Edit: The formulas I've implemented within the app Editor work just fine, such as automatically creating a unique ID for each new row that's added to a table. But those same formula's Do Not apply within the Database Editor. I have fields that rely on formulas used within the App Editor, but those same formulas don't seem to carry over within the Database if I were to create those same new rows from the Database. And I'm just wondering if that feature simply hasn't been implemented yet or if there's something I'm missing?

Original Post:

I've started experimenting with the new AppSheet Database feature, where all my data is stored in the Database rather than in csv/excel format. While I dislike the lack of functionality within the Database app compared to Excel, I like the idea that all the data could be stored in a database where other users (using my app) could add/modify entries within the database.

I've noticed within the AppSheet App Editor, when I create a new entry (like adding a new customer name), the "Key" column will automatically generate a unique ID using 'UNIQUEID()'. This is great.

However, if I try to create that same new entry in the new Database app, it doesn't appear to display a new unique ID in that same 'Key' field value. I have to manually enter 6 random characters.

In fact, none of the other columns seem to carry over any of the same value types (such a drop down menus, or references to other tables). It also doesn't seem to carry over any of the initial values or formulas or show/require values that I've implemented within the AppSheet app.

I'm sure the Database app is still an experimental feature, but are there plans to include the same functions, formulas and features from the App Editor into the Database Editor?

Thanks,
Bam

Solved Solved
0 7 214
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@bam_integrity wrote:

if I create that same new row in the Database editor, the value field where that Unique ID should be generated doesn't appear. And none of the formulas used anywhere seem to carry over into the Database editor unless the entry (or row) was created within the App or App Editor itself.

Again, just like any other data source. For example, if your app table's data source is a spreadsheet and you add a row directly to the spreadsheet, any initial value properties defined for those columns within the app are not invoked.

@bam_integrity wrote:

formulas of any kind within the Database Editor

That's not what it's for. That's what the app is for. AppSheet database is principally a data source tool, not a data editing tool.

View solution in original post

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet Database is currently a preview feature and under active development. Preview features are not yet suitable for use in important apps. Until it has achieved greater stability, I recommend against using this preview feature except for testing and to help the AppSheet developers in their efforts. To follow the progress of and contribute to the development effort, please visit this dedicated Community topic:

Introducing new AppSheet database feature ...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

So, in other words, it works exactly the same as all other data sources? Why were you expecting differently? Or am I missing something?

With respect, I think you're missing something.

I'm talking about the 2 ways you could add/modify table rows & columns from within the AppSheet App Editor, versus the new AppSheet Database. The Database is set up a lot like an Excel spreadsheet, where you could add columns and rows of data, but doesn't allow you to write formulas in the value fields in the same way the App Editor allows you to.

In excel, you can create a table, that set a formula that adds 2 values from 2 other columns automatically every time a new row as created. In the App Editor, you could do the same thing, with applying formulas in several ways (such as the 'Require If' field or the 'Initial Value' field).

But in the new Database editor, it doesn't appear to allow formulas that would apply to every new row that's created, and instead you'd have to manually enter those unique values.

My apologies if my original post was confusing.

We use our app to track landscape work. The entry form that our technicians fill out refers to other tables for information regarding customers, job details, etc.

The problem is that each entry form that the technicians fill out, where they provide information each day like the job name, start/stop time, and other job info requires a 'UNIQUEID()' in the Key field, which would be the first column in the table, in order to make that technician's entry a unique entry from all the other entries being submitted.

The point I was making was that when you create a new entry from within the App or the App Editor, the Unique Key value is automatically generated in the 'Initial Value' field behind the scenes. But this same formula doesn't apply when you create those same entries in the Database Editor.

That's how it should work, there's nothing wrong here.

@bam_integrity wrote:

I like the idea that all the data could be stored in a database where other users (using my app) could add/modify entries within the database

ICYMI, this is true regardless of the data source for an AppSheet table.

@bam_integrity wrote:

I've noticed within the AppSheet App Editor, when I create a new entry (like adding a new customer name), the "Key" column will automatically generate a unique ID using 'UNIQUEID()'. This is great.

However, if I try to create that same new entry in the new Database app, it doesn't appear to display a new unique ID in that same 'Key' field value. I have to manually enter 6 random characters.

Use an initial value expression. Or, in the case of a table from an AppSheet Database, just use the [Row ID] column instead.

@bam_integrity wrote:

In fact, none of the other columns seem to carry over any of the same value types (such a drop down menus, or references to other tables).

Configure each column's data type in the AppSheet Database UI.

Use an initial value expression. Or, in the case of a table from an AppSheet Database, just use the [Row ID] column instead.

The Initial Value field is where the 'UNIQUEID()' currently rests. What I meant was that if I create a new row (new entry) within the App or App Editor, that Unique ID generator works just fine. But if I create that same new row in the Database editor, the value field where that Unique ID should be generated doesn't appear. And none of the formulas used anywhere seem to carry over into the Database editor unless the entry (or row) was created within the App or App Editor itself.

Does that make sense? Sorry if it still sounds confusing.

Maybe if I ask you and others like this... has anyone had success writing formulas of any kind within the Database Editor? Not in the App Editor, but the new Database editor.

@bam_integrity wrote:

if I create that same new row in the Database editor, the value field where that Unique ID should be generated doesn't appear. And none of the formulas used anywhere seem to carry over into the Database editor unless the entry (or row) was created within the App or App Editor itself.

Again, just like any other data source. For example, if your app table's data source is a spreadsheet and you add a row directly to the spreadsheet, any initial value properties defined for those columns within the app are not invoked.

@bam_integrity wrote:

formulas of any kind within the Database Editor

That's not what it's for. That's what the app is for. AppSheet database is principally a data source tool, not a data editing tool.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet Database is currently a preview feature and under active development. Preview features are not yet suitable for use in important apps. Until it has achieved greater stability, I recommend against using this preview feature except for testing and to help the AppSheet developers in their efforts. To follow the progress of and contribute to the development effort, please visit this dedicated Community topic:

Introducing new AppSheet database feature ...

Top Labels in this Space