Number and order of overlay actions

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi awesome Community Members,

At trying to implement this:

explained as well here:

I ran into something, I donโ€™t know if thatโ€™s a bug or a limitation: I can only display 4 overlay actions at the same time.
Moreover, the order of the action buttons seems to be shaken if so.
Do you know if this is intended ?

In my example below, I just changed the prominence of the Edit action.

3 4 463
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Aurelien ,

A quick testing shows below observations.

1. Yes , the maximum count of overlay actions being displayed in detail view seems to be 4.
    Maybe one more logic could be used in the โ€œShow/ Hide Overlayโ€ actions to show A) the First bunch of actions B) the second bunch of actions C) hide all the overlay actions. But this could be a bit confusing to the app users.

2. Yes, the order gets disturbed when one changes action prominence. But once the set of actions is finalized to display in overlay, one could set the desired display order through โ€œRearranging actionsโ€ options.

Hi @Suvrutt_Gurjar

Thank you for confirming this behavior.

1. I totally agree with you on point 1, I thought the same thing : the simpler, the better.
  2. About point 2, I made some stuff with rearranging actions order, and some logic has to be kept in mind: the laster it is set, the upper it is displayed.
    โ€ฆwith a picture itโ€™s best:
    3X_a_e_ae0883f77f5440aae5e5456766f0e1d4a7d134a8.png
    So, that is when sticking to 4 actions displayed.

Better than nothing, I would say, although itโ€™s a little frustrating not being able to go beyond. I assume this is intended, for UX consistency purpose or so.
Iโ€™m curious to see if someone from AppSheet team will give us some information about the reason to it. Maybe some standard on screen size for mobile viewโ€ฆ?

1. Now, when it comes to 5 items set prominently but 4 displayed only, then the rearranging order seems ignored. Here is a comparison, seems erratic.

Thank you @Aurelien for your detailed observations.

I agree with you. Displaying a very long list of overlay actions may not be user-friendly and a good UX principle.

Oh okay. That is good to know. The use case for many overlay actions and that too in a specific order may be less. So this edge test case may not be working.

Anyway, it seems to be a good UX approach to restrict overlay actions to 4 , especially in mobile view.

You are highlighting a very good point, as my users in this case will be only working on computers, i.e browser with a bigger view size.

I just gave it a try with 5 items on prominence, and browser navigation: still 4 actions displayed. I had a hope !

Top Labels in this Space