Number field - max number of digits

Hello Allโ€ฆ

Quick question. Does anyone know the max number of digits that a Number field type will take? I have a number with 19 digits (and could go to 20 or more) and want to know if I can store this as a number or if I need to treat it as text (would prefer number if possible).

Thanks,

RoryF

0 8 491
8 REPLIES 8

I donโ€™t think there is a limit. Text & Long Text columns can be a few hundred characters so I presume Number type columns are the same.

The reason I ask is that the number is not coming across correctly - it MAY be related to the fact that there is a formatting formula on that cell in Google Sheets. Appsheet picked it up as a number type. If I change the field type to text looks ok, Hence the question.

RoryF

I know that this may not sound like the best advice from your POV but just try and then you can come up to the community if it doesnโ€™t work as expected.
Try adding N number of digits and see if itโ€™s correctly saved and displayed as you expect it to be

Best practice is to format the entire spreadsheet as plain text.

We MAY be into Bug territoryโ€ฆ

I took the field and formatted as a number in google sheets. Regenerated the structure just in case. On closer inspection the number is just wrong - it has most of the number correct but the last few digits are incorrect.

I think it IS a bugโ€ฆ

I checked a few other numbers - it is rounding (up/down) based on the last 3 (in some cases 4) digitsโ€ฆ

Not the behaviour I would wantโ€ฆ

I agreeโ€ฆitโ€™s a bug.

I happened to check this out on a View where I had a QuickEdit setโ€ฆand the value showed correctly in the QuickEdit.

Below is view where I have 2 columns set as Number with the same exact value - one shown as QuickEdit and the second is not.

If I add 1 more digitโ€ฆ

Also, if I switch to Decimalโ€ฆ

I went very large on a Number and never received an error message.

BTW, text column keep displaying it correctly, right? Maybe making the column as Text and use NUMBER() could be a workaround?

Top Labels in this Space