Number field - max number of digits

Hello All…

Quick question. Does anyone know the max number of digits that a Number field type will take? I have a number with 19 digits (and could go to 20 or more) and want to know if I can store this as a number or if I need to treat it as text (would prefer number if possible).

Thanks,

RoryF

0 8 493
8 REPLIES 8

I don’t think there is a limit. Text & Long Text columns can be a few hundred characters so I presume Number type columns are the same.

The reason I ask is that the number is not coming across correctly - it MAY be related to the fact that there is a formatting formula on that cell in Google Sheets. Appsheet picked it up as a number type. If I change the field type to text looks ok, Hence the question.

RoryF

I know that this may not sound like the best advice from your POV but just try and then you can come up to the community if it doesn’t work as expected.
Try adding N number of digits and see if it’s correctly saved and displayed as you expect it to be

Best practice is to format the entire spreadsheet as plain text.

We MAY be into Bug territory…

I took the field and formatted as a number in google sheets. Regenerated the structure just in case. On closer inspection the number is just wrong - it has most of the number correct but the last few digits are incorrect.

I think it IS a bug…

I checked a few other numbers - it is rounding (up/down) based on the last 3 (in some cases 4) digits…

Not the behaviour I would want…

I agree…it’s a bug.

I happened to check this out on a View where I had a QuickEdit set…and the value showed correctly in the QuickEdit.

Below is view where I have 2 columns set as Number with the same exact value - one shown as QuickEdit and the second is not.

If I add 1 more digit…

Also, if I switch to Decimal…

I went very large on a Number and never received an error message.

BTW, text column keep displaying it correctly, right? Maybe making the column as Text and use NUMBER() could be a workaround?

Top Labels in this Space