Odd sheets value writing behavior

Hello All,

I have an email column reference set up in my App. So, the email column dropdown lists values from the referenced table/column. The odd behavior is when an email is selected, it displays in the UI; but when I look at the corresponding column/cell in Sheets, I see numbers and not the actual email address. Why is that?

Help please, thank you.

Solved Solved
0 4 235
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Then either: (1) present the data you want stored rather than a Ref value; or (2) use a value you want stored as the key column value. Note that (2) might require a significant overhaul of your data.

View solution in original post

I went with the second recommendation, just made the Email column of the source table to the key since itโ€™s unique. Excellent tip, Steve. Thank you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A column of type Ref stores the key column value of the referenced row. When the user interacts with a Ref column (such as in a dropdown list), the label column value of the referenced row is displayed.

In your case, I suspect the column containing the email address is the label column, and the numbers stored in the spreadsheet are values from the key column of corresponding rows in the referenced table.

See also:

Thank you, Steve. OK, I understand keys are stored for proper retrieval in the app; however, I would like to store the actual value in Sheets for further analysis/reporting in Datastudio.

Then either: (1) present the data you want stored rather than a Ref value; or (2) use a value you want stored as the key column value. Note that (2) might require a significant overhaul of your data.

I went with the second recommendation, just made the Email column of the source table to the key since itโ€™s unique. Excellent tip, Steve. Thank you!

Top Labels in this Space