One app vs multiple

Hello,

I have three apps, an Inventory Management app, A Job/Work Order tracking app, and I am starting to make a third one for Purchase Order creation and tracking.

Purchase Orders tie both Job/Work Orders and Inventory together in a way that I need to access Tables from both apps(basically all of them) in order to avoid entering data into separate apps multiple times. For example I need the Purchase order to be able to reference both Job ID from the Job Tracker app and Item ID from the Inventory Management app.

My question is what is the best practice in a situation like this, to combine them into one app? What is the upper limit to amounts of tables a single app can handle? Is it better to have multiple small apps that do one thing only and only reference tables from other apps as needed?

Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 3 182
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @David_Castrejon 

"My question is what is the best practice in a situation like this, to combine them into one app?"

Use a Team Drive, or a least set a common default path folder:

Share resources with your team - AppSheet Help

(section Work with Google Team Drive)

Here is an example:

Aurelien_0-1661956253653.png

"What is the upper limit to amounts of tables a single app can handle?"

I never touched the ceiling ๐Ÿ˜

"Is it better to have multiple small apps that do one thing only and only reference tables from other apps as needed?"

It's up to you. 

I tend to make separate apps for permissions purpose (administration vs Logistics, for example).

But if you create a new relation with a new table...you will have to make it on as many apps as you need this relation to occur.

So, you may want to think about your priorities ๐Ÿ˜Ž

View solution in original post

One app to rule them all

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @David_Castrejon 

"My question is what is the best practice in a situation like this, to combine them into one app?"

Use a Team Drive, or a least set a common default path folder:

Share resources with your team - AppSheet Help

(section Work with Google Team Drive)

Here is an example:

Aurelien_0-1661956253653.png

"What is the upper limit to amounts of tables a single app can handle?"

I never touched the ceiling ๐Ÿ˜

"Is it better to have multiple small apps that do one thing only and only reference tables from other apps as needed?"

It's up to you. 

I tend to make separate apps for permissions purpose (administration vs Logistics, for example).

But if you create a new relation with a new table...you will have to make it on as many apps as you need this relation to occur.

So, you may want to think about your priorities ๐Ÿ˜Ž

One app to rule them all

Ass you can see, there is no black or white on this.
If you know what you are doing and you'll make sure there are no unnecesary VC with expensive expressions, one app can rule them all as @MultiTech said.
But the easiest way can be multiple apps when you don't share much data between them.

Also consider that VC are app-specific, so you could use one dataset with a lot of VC on one app and the same dataset with no VC, so it could sync faster

Top Labels in this Space