Order Dates on Chart View

Hi all, is there any way of preventing the chart to be ordered alphabetically, I have data labels with the Month and Year and its a text feild, preventing the correct ordering I want.

I have tried making the index list the following but it sees the “1 - Jan” as the 1st of Jan

3X_b_5_b53080d20259e4963dcd225e6e7b3cc26b0def2f.png

3X_c_3_c36b048882c5d4e167ac99598025e956fe654db8.png

All help appreciated

0 7 672
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

I believe the chart you are using now has a Sort By property towards the bottom of the property list in the view. I know…it’s usually at the top!!

Unfortunately it doesn’t include that feature

I tried using the other charts that had it but it wont allow me to select the right chart columns then

I did use a column series chart. I assumed you had pre-calculated values. But I see now you using a Histogram which counts rows matching the Chart columns. Unfortunately, I don’t believe you can alternatively order the results here because of the nature of how the rows are collated and counted. There probably should be a Sort feature in this chart as well.

Alternatively you can produce your own table to provide the counts. I have done this using Google queries (I assume you are using Google) to retrieve and count the rows from a source sheet and populate those results into a new sheet. The new sheet is then added to the app and solely used for display in the chart. Then you can use the column series chart and order the results how you wish. OH, and the query is dynamic so it will keep the table values updated in real time,

I typically avoid all formulas and queries in the sheets but this is a use case where I make an exception.

Try this formula

CONCATENATE(
  MONTH([Requested Date]),
  " - ",
	INDEX(
	LIST(
	  “Jan”, “Feb”, “Mar”, “Apr”, “May”, “Jun”,
	  “Jul”, “Aug”, “Sep”, “Oct”, “Nov”, “Dec”
	),
	MONTH([Requested Date])
	)
)

But this IS a pretty elegant solution

Not very elegant, but one alternative to order months by digits is to use another special character instead of a hyphen, such as “1 ~ Jan”

Many other special characters such as period(.), hyphen(-), slash(/) convert the string to a date value.

It will look like something below

HCF

Hi, try and make a virtuel coumn at the table like:
Text([AnyDate], “YYYY MM MMMM”)
Then select this column as your chart column.

Top Labels in this Space