Orders - field crew updates order, add modifier

Howdy ya'll

im just a simple country rancher trying to make an app for our work.  

i have a question about when a user makes a change to a work order 

the question is.. 

if a crew member makes a change to the work order, we want it to upon update, to add "-1,-2,-3" etc after the work order number to designate the revision number they are going off of. 

if ya'll have any help it would be greatly appreciated. 

0 3 68
3 REPLIES 3

Thats fairly easy to do. Just create a column "Revision" for example and then select Column Data Type in the dropdown menu as ChangeCounter 

Capture.PNG

thank you for the reply, i am still getting used to the layout of this fourms 

i had posted the same question elsewhere, and i composed a response , both parties have different solutions and now i have more details on my project 

Follow up question , see attached Work order table screen capture 

i am still figuring out the layout or flow. 
here is my thought process 

the "order key" = is generated auto 

the "Order ID" = a "prefix" based user account creation, Then a unique 6 digit number // this will be what is displayed and this is where we would want to add the -1,-2,-3 etc  (but is a child to "order key")

"Order-Active Version" = True / False 

as the orders are edited, we want to archive/log the change, meaning we want to be able to go back and see what the original order was and its history  

again, im very new to coding myself, i have worked with DEVOs before leading projects but i didn't codeScreenshot 2022-02-17 114111.png

If you want a change log, then you'll have to create another table for the log. This can be achieved by either:

1. Let users create changes as new rows in the Log table, then using automation, upon each creation of a new row, the fields get reflected in your ORDERS table. This is what I'd prefer. 
    or,

2. Create a grouped action for your orders table that will first copy the Order row as a new row in the Log table, then let user modify the Order. 

Top Labels in this Space