Parsing PDF name to a certain column when generated via automation

Hey community.

I've been beating my head up against a wall trying to figure this out and finally am asking for help.  My app generates a quote PDF and emails it to the respective client.  What I need to do is automatically capture the PDF in a column.

It would look like this:  When a quote is completed, there's an action called "Send to Client"  that changes a status column.  When that status changes to the appropriate selection, it triggers a bot that creates the Quote PDF, creates the folder/file structure, attaches it to the email, and sends it to the client.  I need a way to additionally grab the file link and place it into a column so that it can be referenced in the app. 

This seems like a pretty basic thing to do, honestly.  I think I may just be a little too close to the problem now and not seeing the forest for the trees.  Thanks ahead of time guys!!!

Solved Solved
0 2 81
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Appsheet can't access the name of the created file. So you need to either 1.) provide it with the name ahead of time, or 2.) use an external service, like AppScript, to find the file afterwards, and populate the column value with its relative path and filename.

For #1, write a filename into the column before the Bot executes, and have the Bot use that filename value. Also make sure to disable the filename timestamp. Note that the file is saved in a cache for an unknown amount of time, so if you save a new file with the same name, the app will still load the old file for a period of time (days, weeks?), so it is recommended to use some sort date or datetime value in the filename.

This issue has been asked quite a few times before, so make sure to use the search if you need more help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Appsheet can't access the name of the created file. So you need to either 1.) provide it with the name ahead of time, or 2.) use an external service, like AppScript, to find the file afterwards, and populate the column value with its relative path and filename.

For #1, write a filename into the column before the Bot executes, and have the Bot use that filename value. Also make sure to disable the filename timestamp. Note that the file is saved in a cache for an unknown amount of time, so if you save a new file with the same name, the app will still load the old file for a period of time (days, weeks?), so it is recommended to use some sort date or datetime value in the filename.

This issue has been asked quite a few times before, so make sure to use the search if you need more help.

Thanks man!  I searched and couldn't find anything, but it was probably the wording I used.  Thanks for the response!

Top Labels in this Space