Performance Tips Please - Invoices too slow

I created an invoicing system, but when I try to create invoices in bulk, I have performance issues.   I initially had four different actions grouped together, but that was causing the browser to generate a  "This page isn't responding" when many records were selected.  I then moved three of the actions into a bot.  That eliminated the browser errors, but it still had dismal performance.  I then though maybe the issue was that my members table has a lot of related tables and any updates to those records would e problematic.  So I created a little table to store invoice requests in.  But that was problematic because I forgot that I can't use Input() on a new row action.   

As an experiment, I set the add row action to simply add a new row using one value from my members table and one uniqueid() calculation.  Creating a hundred of these records took about 3 minutes, which makes me thing the whole idea of doing bulk actions to about 100 records is perhaps, a non-starter. 

Anyways, if anyone has thoughts on how I might improve performance,  here's the details for the original design:

I have tables for members, invoices and invoice items.  I have an action that runs on the members table to invoice a member.  The action is a grouped action that does four things:

1. Creates a new uniqueid in a members column 
  2. Creates a new invoice, using the uniqueid as the id for the invoice
  3. Creates a new invoice item, using the uniqueid to tie it to the invoice
  4. Updates the invoice status to "Ready for Sending"

Within the invoice item, I have the following calculated fields:

Amount Before Prorating

Max(List(
IF([use_flat_pricing] = True,
[flat_price],
[unit_price] * [quantity]),
[minimum_price]
))

Prorate Percentage:

IF(AND([Prorate] = True, today() > [start_date]),
1 - (HOUR([end_date] - TODAY()) / HOUR([end_date] - [start_date])),
0)

Amount:

[amount_before_prorating] * (1 - [pro-rate_percent])

Unit Price (applies pro-rating if selected):

IF([Prorate] = True, 
(TotalHours([end_date]-[start_date])/24)  / 
(TotalHours([Product].[normal_end] - [Product].[normal_start]) / 24) * [Product].[price_per],
[Product].[price_per]
)

Quantity:

SWITCH([formula],
"Length * Rate + Beam * Rate", ([related_invoice].[boat].[length] + [related_invoice].[boat].[beam]) ,
"Length * Rate", [related_invoice].[boat].[length],
"Length * Beam * Rate", [related_invoice].[boat].[length] * [related_invoice].[boat].[beam] ,
"None", 1,
)

And in Invoices, I have the following calculated fields:

Pre-tax_total:

SUM(Select(invoice_items[amount],[related_invoice] = [_THISROW].[id]))

Invoice Counter:

Count(Select(Invoices2[id], 
     Year([create_date]) = Year(today())
         )
     )
 + 1

Any suggestions appreciated.  I'll be building a web app version in the meantime.   Cheers!

0 1 701
1 REPLY 1

If you have Core subscription, I would build this functionality with the AppSheet API / Webhook.

Top Labels in this Space