Photos taken via Appsheet are not geo-tagged?

Photos taken via Appsheet are not geo-tagged? GPS data is given when I take photos with default camera, but not when using Appsheet and call camera feature from apps. I know the feature of capturing GPS location of Appsheet, but I want to use geo-tagged photo as well. I am thinking to upload photos to Mapillary, and in my understanding I need geo-tagged images. Is there any solution to make it proceed?
Solved Solved
1 8 500
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Reiko wrote:

Howevere there is problem that sometimes there are some people who report roughly and location and photo are not really linked

Based on your latest description, it sounds that rather than geo tagging, you would be fine if you are capturing location each time the photo is uploaded.

If so, you may want to explore the AppSheet column type of ChangeLocation and initialize it to the photo column. So whenever someone uploads an image or photo the location is automatically captured.  Please make this column with Editable_if as FALSE ( do not make setting off) . 

The location information will not be geo tagged to the image itself but will be available in a separate column for any further use by you.

Track changes using Change column types - AppSheet Help

Please refer the sample app below. It has different change type columns but it will give you an idea.

Change Columns

@lizlynch : May I request you to add link to this sample app in the article on change columns.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

By default, AppSheet is dropping EXIF meta data (including latlong where the image is taken) when you upload the image from your device to the storage. So basically no solution, unlesss you post the feature request. However, it is possible AppSheet may have deployed this due to the privacy issues, but I m not perfectly sure.

@Steve  Any idea why AppSheet is dropping meta when we upload images from app to storage?

Thanks for reply! I'd like to add some information about my project to explain what exactly our team want to do.

We are devloping customed apps using Appsheet and are thinking to use this amoung some area. In this project we will ask local people record location and photos to find issues in the area. Howevere there is problem that sometimes there are some people who report roughly and location and photo are not really linked.  Prevent this situation, we thought if we can take geo-tagged photos as well via Appsheet it would be good for our project proceeding.

Anyway thanks so much, I understand the feature than before.

@Reiko wrote:

Howevere there is problem that sometimes there are some people who report roughly and location and photo are not really linked

Based on your latest description, it sounds that rather than geo tagging, you would be fine if you are capturing location each time the photo is uploaded.

If so, you may want to explore the AppSheet column type of ChangeLocation and initialize it to the photo column. So whenever someone uploads an image or photo the location is automatically captured.  Please make this column with Editable_if as FALSE ( do not make setting off) . 

The location information will not be geo tagged to the image itself but will be available in a separate column for any further use by you.

Track changes using Change column types - AppSheet Help

Please refer the sample app below. It has different change type columns but it will give you an idea.

Change Columns

@lizlynch : May I request you to add link to this sample app in the article on change columns.

>If so, you may want to explore the AppSheet column type of ChangeLocation and initialize it to the photo column. So whenever someone uploads an image or photo the location is automatically captured.  Please make this column with Editable_if as FALSE ( do not make setting off) . 

This feature could help our project requirement.  I will check and try.

There are two reason we think of geotagged data. One is second usage like mapillary - mapping photos on open street map, the other is operation, which I mentioned in last comment. Operational issue is more critical and I think your advice will help us.

Thanks so much we will contine designing project and fitting apps.

Thank you very much @lizlynch 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

Any idea why AppSheet is dropping meta when we upload images from app to storage?

I'd think it's a privacy issue.

@Steve 

Thank you, it concurs with what I thought.

Top Labels in this Space