Primary view navigation on same row,

Hi friends!

I've hit a brick wall when trying to create (what I think is probably) quite a simple navigation between views.

My aim is to have the primary view buttons at the bottom of the screen edit the current row instead of adding a new one when they're pressed.

My starting view is a menu view "Log". I'd like any selected row in the table to be editable by navigating between the forms at with the View buttons (in addition to a workflow which is working well, with LINKTOROW() when saved). Any new entries would be added in this menu view or in the first Primary view, but nowhere else.

I've tried multiple things, and I think I need an expression in each view's "Row key" expression field, but I can't figure that expression out. My best efforts have returned a List type for the expression:

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

0 2 148
2 REPLIES 2

If i have understood you correctly, you have a view that is a list (table/deck/card, whatever) and rather than clicking the row itself to get to the edit form, you want the user to click the view button at the bottom to move to the FORM view passing the current selected row from the list as the row key. Hmmm, my first question is what makes a row selected? Sounds like you want to click on a row but not navigate anywhere. Then manually navigate. Ok, you can add a action to set a user property at this point  so it could be "remembered" by the system. Then use that user property as the key row for the form view when you click on it. You would then need another action on the save of the form to clear the user property. If the user cancels though then that may be an issue but I am sure there must be a solution to that somewhere.

I am not sure the effort is worth it though. It sounds like you are trying to get Appsheet to behave the way some other tool used to operate and not looking at changing the process to how Appsheet works. This is a common issue I have had and actually once I adapt my requirements I find that I still have an app that works perfectly well and actually means that the user has a consistent experience throughout the app. 

Good advice, thanks @alphacp 

Definitely still figuring out how to piece together an app as intended by Appsheet.

You're pretty much there with my intentions - I'd like the row to be "remembered"  so that the primary view buttons edit it rather than creating a new entry. The table view isn't for nothing though, it currently allows a full update of the table and all its slices when a row is selected.

Thanks for your input ๐Ÿ™‚

Top Labels in this Space