Problem with dereference column not found in reference table

Jaros

Hi,

I’m getting an error and I can’t work out where I am going wrong

I have a ref column

I want to dereference this column from the Single items table

It’s column 54 of the table “Single items”

But when I try to dereference I get the error below.

I’ve used the appsheet training plugin to insert the column name so the name should be correct but for some reason it doesn’t seem to be looking at the Single items table for the [Total cost of food - single item column].

I don’t know where I’m going wrong. Can anybody please share a suggestion on what I might be doing wrong?

Solved Solved
0 5 299
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From your screen show we can’t tell which table the column Item 1 belongs to. In that table a column is marked as the KEY column. See image below.

The value from this key column is what should be stored into the column [Total cost of food - single item].

How are you assigning a value to column [Total cost of food - single item]? If you are using a dropdown list - show us the expression that provides the dropdown values.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Make sure that [Item 1] actually has the KEY COLUMN stored in as a POINTER to the ROW from the Single Items table. It MUST store the row key NOT the Price value from the [Total cost of food - single item] column. You will access that Price through the reference.

Hello thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I am not sure I follow. I thought you meant that I should go into the settings of the row Item one and toggle the key button in “Update Behaviour”. I have never done this when dereferencing but thought I would give it a try.

It created a new virtual column and my dereference didn’t work.

In the same app I am using a dereference setup to pull the pricing from the pricing from a price list to the Single items list. That is working fine.

If I open a form for the Meals table I get the ref dropdown from the label in my single items table but I don’t get the dereference price.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I check that the [Item 1] actually has the KEY COLUMN stored in as a POINTER to the ROW from the Single Items table?

From your screen show we can’t tell which table the column Item 1 belongs to. In that table a column is marked as the KEY column. See image below.

The value from this key column is what should be stored into the column [Total cost of food - single item].

How are you assigning a value to column [Total cost of food - single item]? If you are using a dropdown list - show us the expression that provides the dropdown values.

Jaros

Hi. Thanks again…

So I have a few tables.

I have a Price list table

I have a Single Items table

I have a Menu table

The Single items table has columns for 12 items from the price list via a dropdown and 12 dereferences to the pricing and 12 decimal columns to enter quantities. This is working as expected.

The Menu table where Single items can be added together. It is very similar in structure to the Single items menu in that the intention was to allow the user to choose items from the Single Item table via a dropdown and then obtain the Total cost of food-Single item from the Single items table and be able to combine a number of single items into a meal.

So I used the REF type to get a dropdown from the Single items table which is working as expected and showing me items from the Single items table when I click it.

Item 1 belongs to the Menu table.

Example

Single item table

Separate rows

Burger
Fries

Menu table

Single row

Burger and Fries combined

Jaros

I somehow managed to add the column for the ID to the table I was referencing and this was why it was not working.

Top Labels in this Space