Publishing Appsheet App - Sorry I am new to this process and many things are not clear

Sole-user end-use app: I have several AppSheet apps I use personally on a daily basis I built for my own use... most are apps that would be individually used such as an exercise app or a timesheet app as I am a 1099 contractor and have to keep a ton of time tracking for various clients to make sure I get paid.  If Published as a white label app and sold in the Google Play store... how does this work?  and by this I mean does the end-user/purchaser end up downloading the Back end excel or Google sheets format and it is stored independently on their cloud file service?

Multi-user end-use app: I have other apps that are suitable for tracking Invoicing, employee timesheets,s and payroll calculations of a company that could be sold to an end-user, when they buy and download the app do they end up storing the backend spreadsheets on their own cloud file storage? 

It seems to me this is what happens when I download an example app from the AppSheet list of example apps, but I see people telling other users asking similar questions that the Back end data sheets are shared from the publisher's (Mine) datasheets and I am confused by these answers.

All the answers seem to contradict themselves and the white label discussions and help leave a great deal to be desired (At least to me) when it comes to specifics of how the nitty-gritty works. I am sure its simpler than I imagine and most of this is due to my lack of experience with this...but in actuality, it is why I have had apps for years  and never published any as a white-label...because it all seemed a bit vague

0 5 156
5 REPLIES 5

When sharing an app with other people (adding them as users), those users use the same backend data source. Unless you are using "Private Tables", which in the vast majority of cases is not what you should be using. It is your responsibility as the app builder to build the app to properly handle the multiple users, like with Security Filters. 

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/954497-security-filters-the-essentials

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/962049-private-tables

White-labelling has no affect on any of this. White-labelling is simply allowing you to make a "standalone" app which doesn't require the base Appsheet app to be installed. This in turn allows it to be listed on the app stores.

Your confusion in comparison to "downloading" example apps, is due to you comparing 2 very different things. You aren't "downloading" a sample app, you're copying it, which also copies the backend data source. It is now a completely different and separate app. You also were never added as a user to the sample app, like you would be for regular non-sample apps.

First ty for the reply ๐Ÿ˜„

My confusion is not in my comparison of two entirely different things. My confusion is that in the AppSheet Technical documentation and examples on White labeling these distinctions are not made entirely clear. Or maybe glossed over somewhat that someone new like me didn't/doesn't understand it. Whichever...I missed this distinction

What you explained though when "White labeling" is that the AppSheet Created app is converted to a standalone App when uploading to a "play store" This Is Awesome clarification..

but another question does that standalone app have a backend datasheet or is it all in the App without a datasheet in the cloud to hold the underlying data??

Thanks

>>"My confusion is not in my comparison of two entirely different things. My confusion is that in the AppSheet Technical documentation and examples on White labeling these distinctions are not made entirely clear."

Ok. I don't think I misread your post. Having re-read it, it seems pretty clear that you were 1.) comparing white labelling with copying a sample app, which are two very different things, and 2.) this comparison was a source of confusion coupled with the answers you were already reading, which were about sample apps and not white labelling. I'm not really sure why you pointed this out, am I missing something about what you asked? Obviously you can be confused by more than one thing.

>>"does that standalone app have a backend datasheet or is it all in the App without a datasheet in the cloud"

All Appsheet apps have a standalone, and separate, backend database somewhere in the cloud. To re-iterate, white labelling does not affect the workings of the app in any way.

I'll wait for someone else to try and help. Not really finding your explanations helpful. Thanks though. 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Have you read the docs?

Top Labels in this Space