QR code image and text

I want to add both the image of a QR code and the text it contains into two separate column fields.

I can't see how you do this from the online materials, it appears that Scanning in the Other properties just loads the text into the field. Is there a way to do this please?

thanks

James 

0 6 726
6 REPLIES 6

I assume you mean you want to save the QR Code image and its corresponding text at the same time?  That is not supported.

However, you could probably do this in a 2-step approach.  Include two columns, one as Image for a picture of the QR Code the other as the normal Text column to capture the scanned codes' text.  You should be able to use the Image column to take a picture of the QR Code.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I mean I want to capture the image of the QR code (it needs loading into a database) and the text it encodes.

In your proposed solution, do you mean you'd have to do each one twice, eg, first take a normal photo of the QR code image and then use the scanned field to capture the actual code?

First. let's back-up a little bit. It's not clear what your rationale or intent is for "loading" the image "into a database".   Are you trying to just record a copy of your own created QR Code or are you trying to track which QR code was used at each scan?

There are a couple of possibilities:

1)  Scanning a QR Code you created - if you created the code then you already have the image file and could just have a table in your app with the image associated with its resulting text.  When a scan occurs, the app just pulls in the associated image - if that is the desired intent.

2)  Scanning a QR Code created by someone else - in this case maybe you are trying to track which QR Code was used in the scan?  The only way to do so is the two-step process I mentioned - take a photo of the QR Code to save that image and then Scan the code to get the resulting embedded text.  Scanning is a dedicated process that, at the moment, ONLY translates the code into text, no image copy is available to be saved.

This topic catch my eye, normally we scan a QR code is just want to capture the text encoded in it. In what situation we need the image of the QR code?

As Willow said, yes, you may have a two separate column, one is image, another one is text (scannable).

Or if you just want to save the encoded text in a image format, then you can try this. Similar, you required to have two cols, one is image (QR code generated from a barcode website), another one is text (with scannable barcode). In your app, when the text ISNOTBLANK, then AUTO COMPLETE or initial value the image column with a formula (generating QR Code from a barcode website)

If you wan to know how to generate QR code image from a web, you may refer to the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Of55q3Du8

Hi, the issue is that we are building a database of scanned items. The database will then be used to operate in a different software. At the start of the process, the person scanning uses the Appsheet app to image the QR code and store its text value. Those are entered into the Appsheet sheet. Later, we populate the DB with those two values and when a user with the software approaches the item, they scan the QR code and it loads the associated values in the software that were originally captured in the Appsheet app.

Thinking more about it (and thanks for the input) I wonder if I really need to store the text at all, maybe I just need an image of the QR code each time. I was thinking though that I should cross-check that I have captured the QR code image sufficiently to resolve its associated text each time, rather than have errors later in the DB.

As far as I can tell from the video, that technique produces a QR code for a given text. Is there a method that delivers the text for a given QR code?

Top Labels in this Space