Question about Scaling

Jaros

Hi everyone,

I have a Recipe App, with 3 tables following the Model of the "Order Capture” Sample app discussed here:

This is all good and working but I would like to add additional functionality and I am lost about where to go to next.

So I have built some sample recipes with Recipe Details which have a certain yield. I’ve included a column where the user can include the [Yield] as a Number type and then an additional column which divides each of ingredient in the recipes [Qty] by the [Yield] to arrive at the quantity required to make 1 unit (KG or LTR). This would then form a database for the users to refer to when making their desired yields.

I now want to be able to have the functionality for the user to be able to enter a desired yield and it then multiplies each child record by the yield to arrive at new amounts in the child record.

I’m not sure how to achieve this and I can’t seem to find any literature on this?

Does this happen in a new table?

Is an action the best way to achieve this?

Solved Solved
0 2 85
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To clarify Scaling is different than Expanding. Scaling is more about taking the existing features and allowing more users to use the app. The most commonly thought of form of this is adding different businesses to the same app.

It sounds like you are more interested in Expanding the features of your current app.

Here is what I would do…

In your case, I think you can take advantage of the Parent/Child relationship between the Recipe and Ingredient tables.

What I would do is add the Desired Yield column at the Recipe level - since it applies to all of the Ingredients.

I would then add a Total Quantity column (Virtual Column is best in this case) into the Child table - captures the result based on Desired Yield entered at the Parent level.

Then all you would need to do is set the App Formula of the Total Quantity with this expression:

[Recipe].[Desired Yield] * [Quantity}

This assumes the name of your Parent reference on the Ingredient table is [Recipe].

By making the Total Quantity column a Virtual Column, as soon as you update the Parent Desired Yield and Sync, all children rows will be updated.

This allows you to show the Ingredients Inline table in a Parent Detail view. You can make the Desired Yield as a QuickEdit column so you can change it directly in the Detail view and see the updates in the Ingredient Child table immediately without having to go anywhere else.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

If I understand you correctly then yes I believe that an action is the best way to achieve this.

Using the actions you can make an action that asks the user how much yield they want and of what recipe. I have used the INPUT() function to do this and that helped. You may look into using the open a form to edit a row and look into setting some initial value formulas to calculate this for you.

Feel free to post a screenshot of what you are trying to do and I can try and be of help if you still need it.

Craig
QREW Technologies

INPUT()

To clarify Scaling is different than Expanding. Scaling is more about taking the existing features and allowing more users to use the app. The most commonly thought of form of this is adding different businesses to the same app.

It sounds like you are more interested in Expanding the features of your current app.

Here is what I would do…

In your case, I think you can take advantage of the Parent/Child relationship between the Recipe and Ingredient tables.

What I would do is add the Desired Yield column at the Recipe level - since it applies to all of the Ingredients.

I would then add a Total Quantity column (Virtual Column is best in this case) into the Child table - captures the result based on Desired Yield entered at the Parent level.

Then all you would need to do is set the App Formula of the Total Quantity with this expression:

[Recipe].[Desired Yield] * [Quantity}

This assumes the name of your Parent reference on the Ingredient table is [Recipe].

By making the Total Quantity column a Virtual Column, as soon as you update the Parent Desired Yield and Sync, all children rows will be updated.

This allows you to show the Ingredients Inline table in a Parent Detail view. You can make the Desired Yield as a QuickEdit column so you can change it directly in the Detail view and see the updates in the Ingredient Child table immediately without having to go anywhere else.

Top Labels in this Space