Quick Edit Columns vs Header Columns

Is it possible to allow quick editing of header columns, or to have the column appear elsewhere. Here's an image (fake patient, that picture may or may not be me.....)Screenshot 2022-04-14 08.39.43.png

The preference is to have the room number up top with the image, below the name, as a header column. Patients get moved to new rooms all the time, so the ability to quickly update the patient room is important. I am finding that if I add the room number to the Header Columns section in the Detail view, i can no longer quick edit the field. Also, if I have the room column set to show elsewhere in the view, it does not show up, presumably because it is set to also display in the header. 

What are my options to have the best of both worlds?

My first thought is a virtual column, maybe called Romm Header, that simply pulls whatever value is in the Room Number column. Use that as the header, but leave Room Number in the lower part of the view with a quick edit option.

0 3 134
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

@mykrobinson wrote:

My first thought is a virtual column, maybe called Romm Header, that simply pulls whatever value is in the Room Number column. Use that as the header, but leave Room Number in the lower part of the view with a quick edit option.

That would work.

I would:

1. Make the Room column as a Header, quick edit will be lost
  2. Create an action on that table that "Data: Set the values of some columns in this row"
  3. Set these columns: Your [Room] column. Put this on the expression: INPUT("", "")

This way you will end up with a litle "pop-up" form that will allow you to change the Room.

Add a descriptive "Display Name" for the action and make sure it's configured as "Display prominently" in order to be seen aside the other two you have

Hmmm, i am not familiar with the INPUT() expression yet, but i'm about to go read about it! This might be a good solution for the date entry, as people don't really like the calendar popup on mobile, since most of the dates they would be enter require long scrolling through multiple decades

Yes, what you said in the last sentence.  Two columns - a Header column and an Entry column.  The Header column has an App Formula of simply [Entry column].  The Entry column is set as a QuickEdit.  As soon as you enter a value in the Entry column and exit, the Header Column will be updated.  

Pro Tip:  The Header column does NOT need to be a Virtual Column and in this case I would not recommend it.  Since the value can only change when the Entry column of the same row changes, then a sheet column is best.  Virtual Columns are re-calced on every Sync potentially slowing sync times.

Top Labels in this Space