REF_ROWS() - Strange child parent crosstalk or Many to Many references

I have 3 tables.

Tracking Number
Invoice
Purchase

Tracking Number - Generates a unique number (I understand all of the issues with sequentail numbers) and is my โ€œMaster Tableโ€, the one ring to rule them all.
Column structure is as follows:
3X_7_4_74a8c5d487c5236a88b0c5e16f9e1d569afab4ed.png

Invoice - Itโ€™s pretty much what it sounds like. It references back to โ€œTracking Numberโ€ and does some math

Purchase - It records purchase data. It references back to โ€œTracking Numberโ€, โ€œInvoiceโ€ and does some math.

Hereโ€™s what I am looking to achieve. I would like to be able to have the users go into an invoice hit save and have a basic frame work. From there I would like users to be able go back into the invoice (easy and done).
3X_9_3_93199fb515fb9567d1bf2b5a61fb54dddff85795.png

I would like to be able to have both a โ€œRelated PURCHASEsโ€, but also I would like to be able to have a โ€œAll Purchases with Related TRACKING NUMBERโ€.

My plan is that they could use the โ€œAll Purchases with Related TRACKING NUMBERโ€ to click on an item on that list and open each item that they actually used. Then update the โ€œINVOICE KEY IDโ€ for that item to reflect the invoice that it should appear on. Then when the user hits save it pops them back to the โ€œInvoiceโ€ they were in. The โ€œRelated PURCHASEsโ€ would then list what was actually used for that invoice

3X_5_7_578c61481b00be729d5a618afe3b7458738b358e.png

I hope that makes sense.

I have been fiddling around all morning with virtual columns and Select() / Filter() statements. I canโ€™t get anything to provide links like REF_ROWS() does.

Solved Solved
0 3 297
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3X_4_6_46f35b6554f10ed760005534106bf85e9122b9e8.jpeg

I embrace the darkness of sequential numbers, was born in it! (not an issue at all, and my app(s) have multiple users)

But back to the actual issueโ€ฆ

I think I have found my solution: School Model - AppSheet

From this thread: Help with many-to-many reference and bridge table - #19 by TyAlevizos

Basically it involves having a 4th sheet to act as a master library.

I am just in the process of testing it for my own needs, but it looks very promising.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Tom_Stevens

Why donโ€™t you just use a REF_ROWS() in a virtual column then?

3X_4_6_46f35b6554f10ed760005534106bf85e9122b9e8.jpeg

I embrace the darkness of sequential numbers, was born in it! (not an issue at all, and my app(s) have multiple users)

But back to the actual issueโ€ฆ

I think I have found my solution: School Model - AppSheet

From this thread: Help with many-to-many reference and bridge table - #19 by TyAlevizos

Basically it involves having a 4th sheet to act as a master library.

I am just in the process of testing it for my own needs, but it looks very promising.

It works!

Top Labels in this Space