Re-use Virtual columns in different app

Hello, 

I'm trying to build two different apps in stead of only one app to improve their performance, these two apps will communicate to each other, that means that records inculding VIRTUAL COMLUMNS in first app will be used by the second app.

My question is the below :

Is there any solution to extract the virtual columns values from the first app and re-use them in the second app ?

PS : virtual columns in my first app are calculating the total cost from a part of table.

Thanks in advance !

Solved Solved
0 2 72
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately,  Virtual Columns can only be accessed within the app they are defined in.  I would argue that since you need the data outside of an app, those Virtual Columns need to be real columns in your datasource.  Otherwise, you WILL end up with times when the two apps for those Virtual Columns do not match (thought they will eventually fall in sync again).

This does mean that you would need to create the proper actions/automation to keep the calculated values updated as changes are made the affect the result.

A side benefit is that you might improve Sync performance.  Virtual Columns are re-calced on every row on every Sync and in many cases they don't need to be.  By using actions to update/recalc values, you are updating only when necessary eliminating the impact on Sync times.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Unfortunately,  Virtual Columns can only be accessed within the app they are defined in.  I would argue that since you need the data outside of an app, those Virtual Columns need to be real columns in your datasource.  Otherwise, you WILL end up with times when the two apps for those Virtual Columns do not match (thought they will eventually fall in sync again).

This does mean that you would need to create the proper actions/automation to keep the calculated values updated as changes are made the affect the result.

A side benefit is that you might improve Sync performance.  Virtual Columns are re-calced on every row on every Sync and in many cases they don't need to be.  By using actions to update/recalc values, you are updating only when necessary eliminating the impact on Sync times.

Thank you so much for your reply ! 

Top Labels in this Space