Read QR Code to show specific item

Hello folks, i am creating an app to manage a car fleet. Each car is going to have sticker with a specific QR Code on the windshield. The operator will read the QR and that should lead to that vehicle information.

Is that possible?

Solved Solved
0 9 545
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @henriquewf 

Yes.

You will find some tips on the community at using the search bar.

key-words may be barcode, barcode parser.

Here is an example:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Add-if-new-barcode-update-record-if-barcode-exi...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @henriquewf 

Yes.

You will find some tips on the community at using the search bar.

key-words may be barcode, barcode parser.

Here is an example:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Add-if-new-barcode-update-record-if-barcode-exi...

It worked perfectly.

Thank you @Aurelien 

Hey, I'm just curious how that example worked for you?  You asked about using QR codes and the example uses barcodes.  I'm trying to figure out how to use QR codes instead of barcodes (much like how it sounds like what you are doing) and how to enter them into the spreadsheets and can't find anything so I'm curious how this worked for you.

Thanks!

There's really no functional difference between a barcode and a QR code here, the same solution should work for both.

ok, so if I have an inventory control app that is designed to scan barcodes, how do I use QR codes with it?  Basically the crux of my problem is that data in the barcode column is text (the numbers of the barcode) but if I want to use qr codes instead, what do I put in the barcode column so that it will scan the qr's of my products?

Thanks in advance!

if I have an inventory control app that is designed to scan barcodes, how do I use QR codes with it?

The only change I could possibly imagine would be to make sure the column is Text type, because barcodes are sometimes only numbers, so this app might have set the column as Number type.

Other than that, it should work exactly the same.

what do I put in the barcode column so that it will scan the qr's of my products?

You click the little checkbox that says "scan?" from the "Columns" page of the editor.

Let me add a few more details because I don't think you understand my problem.

I'm using a template that has everything you are talking about already set up.  The barcode column is already configured to scan, set to text, etc.  I've already deployed the app and it scans barcodes perfectly.  I just can't figure out what to put in the barcode column so it will also recognize qr codes.  Some of my products have barcodes and some only have qr codes.  I've tried uploading images of the qr codes to the barcode column but the app doesn't recognize it at all.  When I put the camera on a qr code it does nothing like theres nothing in front of it at all.  If I put it to a barcode however, it scans it perfectly.

I've literally watched hours of video on how to do this but nobody ever explains how to use a qr code INSTEAD OF a barcode.  There is no talk about what to put in the "barcode" column if you want the app to recognize qr codes as well as barcodes.

Is there a way to convert a qr code to text that I'm not aware of?  I'm just so puzzled.  I feel like this is a simple problem thats causing me days of headache but who knows.  Certainly not me.

I've literally watched hours of video on how to do this but nobody ever explains how to use a qr code INSTEAD OF a barcode.  There is no talk about what to put in the "barcode" column if you want the app to recognize qr codes as well as barcodes.

That's because there is nothing to do. You turn on the "scan?" option, and the app can read ANY of the supported barcode formats.

Perhaps the QR code that you're testing on isn't actually a QR code? Try to read it directly with your phone's camera, without Appsheet involved. Or enter it into an online QR decoder (just google "QR decoder"). I know of at least one type of code that sort of looks like a QR, but isn't, called an "aztec" code, which Appsheet does NOT support.

Thanks for the reply, i will try that example ๐Ÿ‘

Top Labels in this Space