Recommendation on where to start with charts?

Just curious if you guys have recommendations on where to start for setting up charts and summary graphs. 

I immediately enabled the beta chart editor, but the first chart I tried to make seemed to show that the Ref column I used as a series didn't dereference (the chart just shows the CategoryId primary key field, not the label for the Category): 

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.21.43 PM.png

So, I switched back to the old chart editor, but couldn't figure out to successfully get to a basic bar chart with my categories as series. 

So I figured I'd back up a step and see if you guys have recommendations. Should I even be using AppSheets charts, or do most people send users externally to view things? Maybe a good sample app you think shows how to do it best? 

I also feel very comfortable transforming my data on the sheets side to format/create Chart-specific tables if that's the best option, but it would be nice if there was a quick primer for the best way to transform it for AppSheet to chart. 

Thanks for any tips!

Billy

Solved Solved
0 3 145
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AppSheet is a platform where it needs to cater to several interfacing/ supporting features- charts creation, OCR, QR Code / Bar Code scanning,  report templates for emailing, Notifications and so on. So in case of charting, I think they have given a decent basic feature. An advance capability will mean creating another full fledged charting engine. So the app users can see some charts natively.

If you wish advance charting capabilities, you could also use Google Data Studio or even Google sheets charts. The user will of course need to navigate to those respective pages to see those charts. Of course, there are some trade offs involved in using external services such as chart update rate will not be real time and may need user intervention to get the latest data.

Place the Google Sheet Chart onto Appsheet app - Google Cloud Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AppSheet is a platform where it needs to cater to several interfacing/ supporting features- charts creation, OCR, QR Code / Bar Code scanning,  report templates for emailing, Notifications and so on. So in case of charting, I think they have given a decent basic feature. An advance capability will mean creating another full fledged charting engine. So the app users can see some charts natively.

If you wish advance charting capabilities, you could also use Google Data Studio or even Google sheets charts. The user will of course need to navigate to those respective pages to see those charts. Of course, there are some trade offs involved in using external services such as chart update rate will not be real time and may need user intervention to get the latest data.

Place the Google Sheet Chart onto Appsheet app - Google Cloud Community

Thanks guys. Viewing the static chart images in the app per the link from Suvrutt should do it for me!

Top Labels in this Space