Records created through Internal AppSheet API call ARE NOT available for follow-up tasks.

When creating records through an internal AppSheet API call, it seems that the records created in one step ARE NOT immediately available in subsequent steps.

MultiTech_0-1704130758684.png

MultiTech_0-1704131364930.png

• Apparently, you have to wait for these newly created records to be available.
  • You can't create a follow-up task, like I did above, where we take the results of the previous task and work with them.

What ends up happening is:

1. The records are created
  2. The next task runs WITHOUT these new records.

And FYI: my API call is not asynchronous

____________________________________________________________________________________________

My thought was to try and use return value:

MultiTech_1-1704131099729.png

• But you can't select JSON as the type
  • And it seems that advanced JSON formats (like what is returned by the API) are not supported anyways.

Too bad these features aren't plug-and-play. 😞 

• It would be intuitive for these records to be available immediately for subsequent tasks
  • If there is a technical reason why they aren't: being able to select JSON as the output type would likely solve this
1 6 192
6 REPLIES 6

Hey,

keep it a No Code Platform ffs dude 😆

@MultiTech wrote:

What ends up happening is:

1. The records are created
  2. The next task runs WITHOUT these new records.

I recently encountered a specific need and now I'm stuck. Are there any other solutions? @MultiTech 

I found that using brute force works; try using a select statement to pull the records from the database. 

I don't think I tried this for my issue.  I'll give it a go and report back.

I have ALWAYS found issues with adding/editing rows with an API Task and those changes being available to subsequent steps.  I spent considerable time trying to find a way to get it work AND I opened a couple posts and a ticket to AppSheet - only to be told basically that's the way it works.  Baloney!  I know better!  Well - at least is doesn't HAVE to work that way!

I finally split up the workflow into several segregated Bots and that worked - it seemed the newly added rows were now "properly" available to the subsequent Bots.  This ran fine for over a year ALTHOUGH, it would occasionally hit a Time Out error.

However, sometime between 11/22/23 and 12/20/23 even the segregated Bots stopped working.  There was a release that was rolled-back during that time that I think had changes to automation.  I believe the roll-back didn't put the state of the automation back to the "usual" state.  But how do you prove that?

I could get a part of my issue to work by adding a Wait step. Which told me that there was just a DELAY in the rows being made available.  But it didn't work in all areas, I think because each Wait is a minimum of 5 minutes and adding more than 1 creates a process(es) that run too long - maybe?  Adding a wait on condition did NOT work, again because I think there is a delay in the rows being added AND/OR  they are NEVER made available to THAT instance of the API at all (which based on past expereince I believe to be the case).

I am still having these issues and spent the time creating Actions in the app to CORRECT situations when an incomplete set of rows are inserted.  I have to monitor things more closely but it works for now.

My plan is to convert the set of API calls I have into a Google script.  While the API calls are faster than using an Action-based solution, they are still wicked slow and can encounter Time Outs.  

@MultiTech wrote:

The next task runs WITHOUT these new records.

Hey man,

it's just out of scope is all there is. Nothing really to do with async but rather with task parallelisms

Top Labels in this Space