I have three tables

TableImportant Columns
Stock - StockId (KEY), SKU
Dispatch - DispatchId(Key)
DispatchLines - _RowNumber(Key), DispatchId, StockId

Links

• Dispatch -> Dispatch Lines
  • Stock -> Dispatch Lines
  • DispatchLines -> Stock (Doesn't Link Correctly)

In the DispatchLines table, the Expression Assistant I have used REF_ROWS("Stock", "StockId"). The note below shows this message:

The list of values of column 'StockId' ....from rows of table 'Stock' ....where this condition is true: ((The value of column 'StockId') is equal to (The value of column '_RowNumber'))

How do I get this to link correctly? Is there a foreign key?

Solved Solved
0 5 231
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

This is not possible.

The key can be either calculated using other real columns, or can be a real column itself.

Aurelien_0-1676975895703.png

I think this is the source of your issue.

Moreover, UNIQUEID() must be on INITIAL VALUE column. Otherwise, it is constantly changing and therefore unstable.

I suggest you add this column on your Sheets, click on "regenerate structure" ==> that will turn your virtual column into a real one. 

Then, change the location of your expression from FORMULA to INITIAL VALUE.

You may need to artificially create a list of random values to initialize your existing records on this column.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @mbavishi46 

This may be due to the fact the key-column is incorrect in your table DispatchLines.

Can you check this?

Aurelien_0-1676972167916.png

If you don't have a key-column, I suggest strongly that you add one and set its initial value expression with:

UNIQUEID()

For reference:

What is a key? - AppSheet Help

REF_ROWS() - AppSheet Help

References between tables - AppSheet Help

UNIQUEID() - AppSheet Help

Hi,

I have added an ID column to the DispatchLines. however, if I set it as the key for the table, then the link between the Dispatch -> DispatchLines breaks.

You would need to adapt the ref_rows expression to catch the id column instead.

I am unsure how to do that. The ID column is a random number so how would I be able to use that to match the other tables? Is there a foreign key to link the two DispatchIDs and StockIDs

The below screenshots are for the DispatchLines Table and the fields that have been added.

mbavishi46_4-1676975239928.png

mbavishi46_1-1676974682914.png

mbavishi46_2-1676974957774.png

The below screenshots are for the other Tables and the fields that have been added.

mbavishi46_5-1676975274583.png

mbavishi46_6-1676975285251.png

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

This is not possible.

The key can be either calculated using other real columns, or can be a real column itself.

Aurelien_0-1676975895703.png

I think this is the source of your issue.

Moreover, UNIQUEID() must be on INITIAL VALUE column. Otherwise, it is constantly changing and therefore unstable.

I suggest you add this column on your Sheets, click on "regenerate structure" ==> that will turn your virtual column into a real one. 

Then, change the location of your expression from FORMULA to INITIAL VALUE.

You may need to artificially create a list of random values to initialize your existing records on this column.

Top Labels in this Space