Report Email Expression Column Value Okay?

I am setting up a report to send an email to [Manifest Email] in table Service Location when the value of column [Service Format] is “On Call”. The expression I am plugging into the “to” field of the report email is:

SELECT(Service Location[Manifest Email], ([Service Format] = “On Call”), TRUE)

However the expression builder says this formula is not evaluated in the context of a row so column values are not available. Since [Service Format] is a column will this work? The expression builder says it is successful but the message says it won’t work. A but confused. Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 2 449
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A little confusing I can agree, but what it’s intending to say is you can’t use values from a “current row.”

When I say “current row” what I mean is like when you’re making an app formula, that formula is evaluated with the ability to use values from a specific row using the [_thisrow] command.

What this error is saying is that the formula you put in won’t be able to make use of this command, everything used in the formula needs to be universal - like what you’ve got in your formula.

This formula will work

There’s no [_thisrow] and you’re not using any values from a specific column; you’re saying that you want emails from the Location table where the [Service Format] column (in the table you’re pulling from) is equal to “On Call” - and it’s perfectly fine to do this.

(FYI: your formula would NOT work like this)
SELECT(Service Location[Manifest Email], ([Service Format] = [_thisrow].[Service Format]), TRUE)

Granted, it seems that wouldn’t work in the spirit of your formula anyways, but I’m trying to illustrate a point; hope I got it accross.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

A little confusing I can agree, but what it’s intending to say is you can’t use values from a “current row.”

When I say “current row” what I mean is like when you’re making an app formula, that formula is evaluated with the ability to use values from a specific row using the [_thisrow] command.

What this error is saying is that the formula you put in won’t be able to make use of this command, everything used in the formula needs to be universal - like what you’ve got in your formula.

This formula will work

There’s no [_thisrow] and you’re not using any values from a specific column; you’re saying that you want emails from the Location table where the [Service Format] column (in the table you’re pulling from) is equal to “On Call” - and it’s perfectly fine to do this.

(FYI: your formula would NOT work like this)
SELECT(Service Location[Manifest Email], ([Service Format] = [_thisrow].[Service Format]), TRUE)

Granted, it seems that wouldn’t work in the spirit of your formula anyways, but I’m trying to illustrate a point; hope I got it accross.

Ah, thank you.

Top Labels in this Space