Request to Increase the Size of Text Input Box for Long Text Column

Dear AppSheet Team,

I am writing to request a modification in Appsheet regarding the text input box used for long text columns.

As you might be aware, our current setup has a relatively small text input box for entering longer texts.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 11.03.20โ€ฏPM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-24 at 11.04.21โ€ฏPM.png

This setup, while functional for short entries, becomes quite cumbersome when dealing with longer text (Both in INPUT() and Form its really small). Users often need to input detailed descriptions or comprehensive data, and the current size of the text input box restricts their ability to view and edit the text comfortably.

Therefore, I kindly request that the dimensions of the text input box for long text columns be increased. A larger input area would greatly enhance the user experience, making it easier for users to read, write, and edit longer texts. This change would not only improve the efficiency of data entry but also reduce the likelihood of errors, as users would be able to see more of their text at once.

I believe this modification will significantly benefit our users and streamline their interactions with our Apps. I am confident that our development team can implement this change effectively.

Thank you for considering this request. I am looking forward to your positive response and am available for any further discussion or clarification needed regarding this matter.

Recommendation: For enhanced clarity and user experience, Appsheet might consider integrating its editor UI text box more effectively in apps also. The text box provided here is notably superior.

Screen Recording 2023-11-24 at 11.12.31โ€ฏPM.gif

@Arthur_Rallu @lizlynch 

Thanks

6 14 809
  • UX
14 REPLIES 14

It appears that these crucial aspects of data input have been overlooked. I'm concerned about the lack of attention given to these important elements, and I would like to emphasize their significance. It's disappointing to see them not being considered as expected. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We are finding it challenging to grasp the complexity involved in data input across various parts of the app, whether it's through forms, quickedit, or the INPUT() function. The limited space provided for inputting data in these columns seems impractical. It's surprising that such fundamental aspects aren't given higher priority in the design and functionality.

I mentioned (requested) the exactly same few time and for the last few years.  This is good example to see our posted feature requrest posted to the community is always ignored even those for simple CSS/UX amendment. Google sees the google internal stuffs. Not prioritize the voice from the users/community, this is almost factual those days.

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

Google sees the google internal stuffs.

I acknowledge that these improvements have been previously requested but have not been implemented across all practical use cases. It's unclear to me how internal factors are impacting the realization of these necessary changes. 

@Koichi_Tsuji 

@Rifad wrote:

Screen Recording 2023-11-24 at 11.12.31โ€ฏPM.gif

Given that the editor's UI has successfully integrated a larger text box, I am optimistic about the potential for similar implementations in our apps. This could greatly enhance data input efficiency, especially with the addition of rich text formatting features.

The another good indication where the appsheet creators are not interested in the new features produced by AppSheet team such as "chat app", "mention in Google Doc", "Appsheet database", is nobody is posting the questions and asking something onto the New Feature post made by the AppSheet team.  Yes, they wont be necessarily needed, which means the user case will be ultra rare. Basically, I banned those ones by AppSheet policy though. AppSheet team who may see this post, please dont take me wrong, as this is the truth.

It is almost obvious the current new development for AppSheet is just aiming at the integration wiht GWS (regardles that those new features are useful or not), rather than accomodating the feature request given by AppSheet active usres.... Very much sad story.

It becomes almost routine works for me those days. New features given to us. We banned those to avoid the disruption and inconvenience for both users and creators.  

Long running preview features such as INPUT().  The GA feature is downgraded from one we see in Preview stage.   The GA-ed features are immediately rolled back due to glitch or bugs.  

I never ever see such in other widely accepted service, only I see with Appsheet.  Definitely something is wrong with AppSheet (management).  Like the repeated downtime (due to server errors) is anther example the platform is not stably managed.

In terms of AppSheet AI (generate the app through the chat app), this is on our waiting list to ban by policy as well..... Very much sad..... ๐Ÿ˜ข

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

It is almost obvious the current new development for AppSheet is just aiming at the integration wiht GWS (regardles that those new features are useful or not), rather than accomodating the feature request given by AppSheet active usres.... Very much sad story.

I understand and am not opposed to the new changes introduced; in fact, I appreciate and welcome innovation. However, it's important to note that in my four years of using AppSheet, I haven't found a practical application for features like chat apps, mentions in docs, AI integrations, or the AppSheet database in my real-life business scenarios. These might be beneficial for others, but they don't align with the priorities for my internal business tools. Perhaps AppSheet has broader goals in mind, and these developments are stepping stones towards that vision.

My main concern, however, is the apparent lack of communication from the AppSheet team regarding user feedback and the implementation of features that are critical for everyday use.

@Rifad wrote:

My main concern, however, is the apparent lack of communication from the AppSheet team regarding user feedback and the implementation of features that are critical for everyday use.

yep, I also do wecome any new features which are not useful to me, as it may help other users in the opposite side of my world.  Othewise I also agree with you.

I m with AppSheet since 2016...  It was good time when I started with AppSheet. Now, all my friends from ex.appsheet teams are gone now.   

que sera sera๏ผ๏ผ

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

AppSheet since 2016... 

Your long-standing involvement with the platform is truly commendable, spanning an impressive number of years.

As someone who began using AppSheet in 2019, I've greatly admired the work done by the AppSheet team and the management. Your contributions, along with those from inspiring individuals like yourself, have significantly enhanced my experience with the platform. Also people like @Steve @Marc_Dillon @GreenFlux @Suvrutt_Gurjar @MultiTech @AleksiAlkio and many more..

Not exactly all of them ๐Ÿ˜‰

4 Months into this and no updates from Appsheet team ?

@AleksiAlkio Please update all these to appsheet team. How long do we have to wait before we see results from using AppSheet? Are these signs from Google indicating that it's time to stop using appsheet ?

Need this too, the long text box are too short for me sometimes

Top Labels in this Space