Required Fields

If you have Required If conditions are they still upheld when editing within quick view?

0 8 655
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Should be. Easy enough to test, Iโ€™d think.

I have a column for Qty Received, I want to make sure users are completing when receiving the order.

I have marked it as required, but I can still avoid completing (they need to update through quick edit)

Required? is only enforced on columns that are available to the user to change. If the require column is not displayed or not editable, its Required? setting is not enforced.

I thought that may be an issue as well but its all enabled

Are you using Quick Edit in a detail view, or a table view?

In a table view like so:

In the form I can see it is required:
3X_8_0_8096425a7fb375c75e12d2df0884dfc8d75be203.png

But I have other table views that utilise quick edit and they enforce the Required? constraints, for examaple if I remove a unit value from a record it wont let me save here

Iโ€™m afraid I have no experience with Quick Edit in table views. Maybe @Marc_Dillon does?

Validation seems to only be checked in quick-edit mode when a value is changed (Required? is essentially a specific case of validation). Upon entering quick-edit mode on a table view, all existing values are assumed to be valid. If there is no change to a columnโ€™s value, then you are allowed to โ€œsaveโ€ it again, whether it is valid or not.

Presumably this is intended to avoid the user getting stuck in the view, when for example they just want to edit one record, but there is invalid data in other records.

Here is a simple demonstration. This [dec1] column has a maximum value of 3. But it starts with a value of 5 (entered manually into the GSheet).

3X_7_b_7b592fadb006385164c50bb3bc11c176ad7be791.png

If I replace the value with 4, it will tell me it is invalid and not allow me to save.

3X_4_6_46c879a9006d6715af36b126adcf3d4a85bc2305.png

But if I put the value of 5 back, which is invalid, all is good.

3X_7_d_7d287e110ada5c4cb7686102672b998ae2acae6a.png

So, no, I donโ€™t believe you can effectively force the input of a value within quick-edit mode on a table, youโ€™ll need to use a form. Perhaps try out the new INPUT() expression?

Top Labels in this Space