Return Day Name I need an expression to ret...

Return Day Name

I need an expression to return the name of the day from a column that shows the Day Number.

Example: If =DAY(TODAY()) returns 27, My expression in the “Day Name” column needs to return “Tuesday”

Any suggestions?

0 13 2,412
13 REPLIES 13

@Aaron_Moolb IFS( WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“1”,“Sunday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“2”,“Monday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“3”,“Tuesday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“4”,“Wednesday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“5”,“Thursday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“6”,“Friday”, WEEKDAY(TODAY())=“7”,“Saturday” )

@Levent_KULACOGLU

What about different months? So, the 1st of the month is not always a Sunday.

Example, the first of this month was a Thursday

What @Levent_KULACOGLU said works…

@Aaron_Moolb

WEEKDAY expression accept a date as a parameter. So: WEEKDAY(“1/11/2018”) will return 5

@Levent_KULACOGLU I know how to get the number. I need to return the day name of month.

Example: WEEKDAY(TODAY()) returns 27. I want to return “Tuesday”

@Aaron_Moolb

WEEKDAY(TODAY()) cannot return 27. The response range is from 1 to 7, 1 being Sunday…You can use the IFS expression that I have proposed to return the name of the weekday as per date. help.appsheet.com - WEEKDAY() WEEKDAY() help.appsheet.com

@Levent_KULACOGLU

I understand, it was a bad example because today is the 27th. What I need is the exact name of the DJ. The problem with your statement is that one always return Sunday. That is not always the case. The first day in November was Thursday. How do I get an expression to show That the first day of November 2018 is Thursday and not Sunday?

I’m trying to avoid adding a table with endless amounts of calendar dates and day names and just doing a lookup

@Aaron_Moolb do apologize if I’ve been misunderstood. But the solution is already in front of you: WEEKDAY(“1/11/2018”) returns 5 (Thursday) not 1. WEEKDAY(TODAY()) will return 4 because today is Wednesday and the date is Nov. 28th. Provided you use the function as WEEKDAY([YourDateColumn]) it will return the matching weekday number for the date value in your column. As you want to textify this number as the name of the weekday, you should construct an IFS expression with the WEEKDAY function as proposed above either in the initial value or in the AppFormula. Hope I’m clear enough.

@Levent_KULACOGLU OMG. I get it now. Even though today is the 27th it’s really the third week day which would return Tuesday. You were perfectly clear, I was a moron! Thank you so much for being patient and re-clarifying with me

create a virtual column [Date] where formula is today()
create a virtual column [Daynr] where formula is weekday([Date]) will result in the number of the day in that week
create another column where formula is: if([Daynr]=1,Monday,if([Daynr]=2,Tuesday, " if idem for the rest of days" , " "))))))) wil result in Monday, Tuesday and so ondepends of the Date column.

TEXT([Date], “DDDD”)

Top Labels in this Space