Rich text currently rendering apps useless on Android?

I've written about this issue here:
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/Rich-Text-Formatting-in-Preview-Program/m-p/68...
In a nutshell, Detail views no long work on my Android device because my app uses rich text.
Could those of you who who have Android devices and use rich text in columns in detail view take a look to see if your app is working properly, please?   My phone is quite old (2016) and running Android 11.  That may be part of the problem.  Thanks in advance.
P.S. My app is working well in my browser and on my iPhone.

Solved Solved
3 8 480
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The good people at AppSheet (@amyplin in particular) seem to have fixed this problem for us.  Thanks! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

My test of a simple H1 tag with long text HTML column was successfully shown in the Android version 10 phone.  So it may be possible that more extensive HTML code columns are not working.

The image below is from browser but as mentioned I checked it is working on an Android version 10 phone.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1702994574470.png

@Kirk_Masden However there is another post with similar observations as yours. So you all may wish to take it up with the AppSheet support team.

HTML Fehler (Android App) - Google Cloud Community

Thanks very much! I did a little more testing on an app that is very tiny (so that app size won't be an issue for my weak phone).  I found that setting a long text column to "Markdown" was not a problem but that merely setting it to HTML (no HTML code in the column itself) caused the same issue (white screen -- nothing shown).  I'll consider contacting support. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had the same problem as him

Hello, I am using the current version Android 14. Update was December 5th, 2023 and since then HTML has stopped working! The previous version still worked

I confirm: my application with formatting LongText to HTML  open empty forms on devices with Android 10. 

• Markdown not checked
  • PlainText works normally

Recently, my Apps didn't have any rich text from HTML or markdown but some Android devices can not view details from the table view. I tried anyway to find the root cause but I am not sure what happened. Finally, I have changed the view from table to deck, and all mobile views can see the detail view!

In my experience, the presence of long text files that are set to display rich text via HTML, regardless of whether or not I actually have put any HTML in there, is what causes the problem.

The good people at AppSheet (@amyplin in particular) seem to have fixed this problem for us.  Thanks! 

Top Labels in this Space