Rota Calendar

I am trying to create a rota / rostering app from my Google Sheets spreadsheet in AppSheet. However, I am struggling to get the app to display shifts in a calendar view. My spreadsheet is set up as follows:

• The primary sheet, user, has a row for each user / member who will use the app and have a rota / calendar.
  • One of the columns in the user sheet is titled "rota". Each rota - of which there are 6 - for example, 'red rota', is linked to its own sheet.
  • Each rota sheet - e.g. 'red rota' - contains two columns; 'date' and 'shift' (if there is no shift scheduled the cell is blank).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Solved Solved
0 6 498
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cc: @WillowMobileSys @SkrOYC 

Update

With the help of AppSheet Support, a solution has been found: I created the rota(s) in Google Calendar and then set them as the data source in AppSheet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

After some searching, Rota Calendar refers to a Schedule Calendar which is a way to show information, similar to Gantt Chart, which is just not available here.

Anything should be done based on your own understanding of the platform to come up with a workaround

Hi @SkrOYC.

Thank you for taking the time to look into my issue and reply.

Rather than a Gantt Chart, I am looking for shifts (e.g. 'Day', 'Night') to be displayed on a calendar, which is a view that is available in AppSheet.

Alas, I think my understanding of the platform is very limited. I have looked at documentation, YouTube videos and taken online courses which claim 'anyone can create an app in AppSheet with no underpinning knowledge or training'.

There is no out of the box view that supports a rotational schedule.  But you can build this as a custom feature.  

The idea would be to use a form to specify the details of the schedule - Person, Dates, Night or Day shift, etc.  Tapping save then run through a process (a set of actions or an automation) that automatically generates the schedule rows - one for each daily shift for that person.  These are then shown on the Calendar view. 

You can colorize these items - probably per person -  and this might be where there is a potential hiccup.  The Calendar only supports the basic colors which I think is a list of 7 or 8 colors.  Don't remember and can't find at the moment.  It may mean that colors need repeated for persons.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response @WillowMobileSys.

I fear rota implementation may be beyond my AppSheet understanding and capability, at least at this moment in time.

@jrsmith252 wrote:

which claim 'anyone can create an app in AppSheet with no underpinning knowledge or training'.

This is true!  But as with anything of value, as your needs grow so does, usually, the complexity of those needs.  And complex needs require more advanced knowledge to solve. 

This doesn't mean you need special training.  It only means time is needed to understand HOW to implement the more advanced features.

Don't worry if you are not understanding right away...that is what this Community is for.  Ask questions to help you build what you need and with time you will be the one answering those questions - if you want!  

cc: @WillowMobileSys @SkrOYC 

Update

With the help of AppSheet Support, a solution has been found: I created the rota(s) in Google Calendar and then set them as the data source in AppSheet.

Top Labels in this Space