Route line on maps - GPX / KML file I'm prot...

Route line on maps - GPX / KML file

Iโ€™m prototyping a walking route app for my local community. All working well with accommodation, landmarks and waypoints. Everyone whoโ€™s seen appSheet is really impressed.

The one thing that Iโ€™m missing / canโ€™t find is the ability to add a route line to the map. Ideally it would be a link to a GPX/KML file stored in a Google Sheet or a file selected within the app and just like a photo.

Iโ€™ve read a couple of older posts but not seen a solution. Is it possible, a future feature or something thatโ€™s not going to happen?

Thanks for your time and help

1 11 1,232
11 REPLIES 11

@Rob_Marriott

This an interesting idea, but we do not currently support this capability.

I am not aware of any plan to implement this in the short term but @praveen may wish to comment.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

Thanks for the update - thatโ€™s a shame as I know that it would enhance the scope and reach of AppSheet. As a developer

I know that technically itโ€™s easy to add a KML file overlay or series of co-ordindates to a Google map.

Does anyone know of a partner or developer who has figured how to add a route/polyline line to the map within AppSheet? Or is there an option to assist funding development?

Fingers crossedโ€ฆ

Hello Rob,

Just curious if you were ever able to make this happen.

Thanks!

Are there any updates on this feature?

Yes, I just updated my Appsheet app with this feature, I think.

I have a static KML map.  It has a  "mid" parameter found on "Open in My Maps".  In my Data >> Columns, I updated both the existing columns that related to maps. One column is a LatLong field.  The other is an Address field.  Under Type Details there is a Optional URL for KML file parameter.  That gets the value https://www.google.com/maps/d/kml?mid=[Your_Maps_MID_value].

I found that the overlay was annoying for both, so I kept it for just the LatLong column.

If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered.

Phillip - you are nothing short of a genius - this should be doc'd as an official feature, it's that simple to do (yet I spent weeks trying to work it out to no avail). 
Brilliant - worked a treat for me

Philip Thank you so much!!! extremely helpful!

Question: How do you do this? 

If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered.

It works very well for us - in my experience, Google Maps takes around an hour to update in your Appsheet App - I've not yet found a way to trigger the update on demand, or any way of seeing how long since the last update 'took', but that very minor niggle notwithstanding, this is a massively useful feature and following Philip's instructions above makes it very straightforward.

I was able to get it to work but google my maps doesn't dynamically update on it's own from Google Sheets, this is what I needed help with.. I'm currently looking to see if appscript will work, how do you get yours to update?

@PhilipDYoung I am curious about this step you mentioned: "If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered."

Can you explain how you do this? Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space