Rows Total / sub Total

A) Koichi_Tsuji gave a solution to this topic with 8 steps (actions + workflow) - Posted on 08-24-2020 03:56 AM

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/Rows-Total-sub-Total/m-p/312626

B) Aleksi also gave a solution to this topic with only one virtual Column together with sample app - posted on 08-24-2020 05:15 AM

www.appsheet.com/portfolio/531778

I have tested solution B) - works very well!

IF([Product]=โ€œTOTALโ€,SUM(SELECT(Products[Count],[PRODUCT]<>โ€œTOTALโ€)),[COUNT])

But solution B) generates only sum of all rows of my table - I have "daily"-grouped my data - how can i setup this "Total SUM Expression" for each group (day = sub total) of my table?

many thanks in advance for your help!

Solved Solved
0 2 215
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is explained in the post from @Koichi_Tsuji, in the section labeled "Extension of use of the tricks." 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This is explained in the post from @Koichi_Tsuji, in the section labeled "Extension of use of the tricks." 

All of these are non-standard things you'd want to do... a hack... a work around.

• What you'd really be looking to do, if you're intending on scaling your system, would be to create this "total" inside the parent of the child records.

So on the Order table, I'd have the total; not creating a child line item that was the sub-total.

• If you're wanting to see the subtotal inside a PDF or something, build your total line there using template variables; but inside your app I'd want everything to be standard structured, so it will scale without any weirdness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem that I see with this workaround is the following:

• You've got a child table, with records that represent (an item) for the parent
  • But now you've also got another thing in there.... not the same as the others, different.  It's not the same thing at all, it's an entirely different concept than that of the original records
  • So when I want to do any sort of derivative math or something on the list of child records... now I've got to account for these "different" records that are in the mix.

To me, the cost outweighs the benefits; especially when there are other ways in which you can get your total communicated to your users, more standardized ways that everyone is familiar with (in a graphic sense) that won't bring you (the app developer) any more work than already required.

Top Labels in this Space