SQL database vs Appsheet database

I am currently using a SQL database for my tables.  I have never used the appsheet database.  My SQL database is setup with one main table where records are initially entered and then many sub tables that link back to the main.   The issue I run into is that I have to use virtual columns to show the data of the sub tables on the main table view.  This causes a 7 - 10 second delay when a sub table record is entered to show on the main table.  

My question is would Appsheet database be able to help speed this process up to make it more instant?  I initially had all the users making changes to just the main table, but with different sync times, some changes were not being saved.

Thanks

Kyle

0 7 429
7 REPLIES 7

In my opinion, the best thing would be to optimize the formulas of your virtual columns to see if you can improve the times. I would not recommend migrating your database since the Appsheet database is still in beta.

In any case, I have no experience with the appsheet database so perhaps the opinion of someone who has experience with both databases will be more enriching.

From your description, no, I would not expect switching to ASDB to help speed that up significantly. But I suspect you can probably redesign your app or data to make it more user-friendly.

No, it won't change the situation. You have three options to reduce it.
#1 - Instead of using virtual columns (probably with the Ref column type), use Enum/Ref and then create an action button with the LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(). With this way you don't have the inline view, but it will show it with one extra click.. or is it an extra click at all?
#2 - Change the virtual column formula if it's complicated
#3 - Check/adjust your security filters so they are converted to SQL queries. Less data the app has, more quicker the virtual columns are calculated.

I would prefer the #1.

Thanks for your response.  

Here is an example of the view I am using.

tcpallet_0-1686919082478.png

The users like to see a combination of all the tables on a single line.  I don't believe I can use Ref columns to achieve that type of viewing.

The virtual column formula I am using is any(select(table[col].  Would you suggest a more efficient formula?

I have never heard of using sql queries in the filters.  I use a filter to limit date going only so far back.  [Date]>today()-15 .  Would there be a better option for this.

Thanks!

Your formulas should be converted to query (SQL) in the background so the filtering should happen in DB before the data is sent to AS server.

Ok. I am not sure that mySQL can filter without turning it into a view. Then data can only be read and not written to it.

Please check this article section and one below it. It explains how the SF works with the MySQL. You don't need to create any views for this purpose.

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10104706?hl=en&sjid=17997099558883963918-EU#:~:text=Secur...

Top Labels in this Space