SUM(LIST()) Error

Hi all,

Attempting to use

SUM(LIST(Redeem Index[NetMarkDelta], Task Ledger[NetMarkDelta], Redeem Ledger[NetMarkDelta]))

In a display value. I figure I'm doing something wrong, but what is it? It says it "requires a list of numeric inputs," but all the inputs are set to "number".

Some other things:

1. They are all editable. None are read only.
  2. None are virtual columns
  3. Testing the LIST function with any of them independently returns lists of numbers
  4. Removing LIST and doing 3 separate SUM functions on the 3 columns works fine (messier)

athousandicons_0-1670525467383.png

Solved Solved
0 4 116
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's not how you add lists together. It's actually much easier, just use a "+" between them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

That's not how you add lists together. It's actually much easier, just use a "+" between them.

Fantastic. All I needed to do was put the tables next to each other in the sum!

SUM((Redeem Index[NetMarkDelta] + Redeem Ledger[NetMarkDelta] + Task Ledger[NetMarkDelta]))

Though I am curious, how come using the SUM(LIST(...)) like that didn't work, even for simple lists? Like if I do SUM(LIST(TableA[ColumnA])), I still get an error. It seems like based on the SUM function page that it should work?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@athousandicons wrote:

Though I am curious, how come using the SUM(LIST(...)) like that didn't work, even for simple lists? Like if I do SUM(LIST(TableA[ColumnA])), I still get an error. It seems like based on the SUM function page that it should work?

TableA[ColumnA] is a list of values from the ColumnA column in table TableA Wrapping that with LIST() creates a list within a list (a/k/a a list of lists, or a nested list). AppSheet doesn't handle lists of lists.

Extremely informative. That makes sense!

Top Labels in this Space