Scan only - View Results Only

I have been fascinated by AppSheet and reading quite a bit in the documentation and attempting to configure my no deployed app. still learning.

I do have a question.  I am looking to create a read only scan function. End users (only 8 end users) will not be able to add or delete anything all. Read the results of a scan only. The core data will be supplied and updated periodically. But the end user could scan a UPC(barcode) and the relevant information of that particular item would be displayed. that's all it will do. I can seem to get "save" or "add" icons prompts to go away. 

I'm thinking there would be about 45000 unique items in the core table, and before I spend a ton of time trying to get it to work. Will Appsheet be able to handle this?

0 5 127
5 REPLIES 5

AppSheet would be able to handle this. It would work best in a SQL database but depending on how you have your data set up it could go into google sheets. 

You can do a proof of concept with a handful of items. You would be able to hide add and edit options in the behavior menu and the actions tab. (Make sure you view system actions and you can restrict their appearance from there.) You can set it so that on the scan it shows you the detail view of the items. 

So, it should be able to work, with that many items I recommend a SQL database but even still it will not be the fastest app in town. 

Craig

QREW Technologies. 

Ok. thank you very much.  Hmm. perhaps too many records.  I was only using Excel tables and not Google Sheets. Table Size in 3.9 MB

That works fine as a data source. With a size that small it should be fine but that will impact performance in your app. I think it would not be too bad though. So I think you are within the scope of what AppSheet is able to do. I would do a small scale test before using the entirety of your dataset. 

Craig

QREW Technologies

Thank you very much. I will uses a small dataset to try it out.

Now to just get my data formatted correctly.

Just an update - got it working nicely. No speed or lag issues with 46295 records. Very fast once sync'ed

Top Labels in this Space