Search function for referenced rows

Hi all

I couldn't find if this has been answered before, but is it possible to search for values (that are not the key) in referenced rows of a detail view?

For example: I have a view that contains a table and detail view of "Buildings". The "Buildings" table has a "People" table referenced to it. So a row of "Buildings" can have many rows of "People". 

If I use the search function with the Key value of a "People" row, it will show the "Buildings" row that has the "People" row attached to it. The problem is that I would like to search for a Name value (in the "People" table) and not the Key value. I tried setting the Name column as a label, but it doesn't work.

Is it possible to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Solved Solved
0 2 103
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My understanding is that you can only search in the parent view(table) using key of its child.

If you need to search deeper into the child's content (the People's name column in this case), you need to gather related names using a new virtual column created in the Buildings table.

try something like this in the new virtual column of Buildings table,

SELECT(Peoples[Name],

[Building] = [_THISROW].[Building]

)

or (better one)

[Related Peoples][Name]

Also, don't for get to make the virtual column searchable.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

My understanding is that you can only search in the parent view(table) using key of its child.

If you need to search deeper into the child's content (the People's name column in this case), you need to gather related names using a new virtual column created in the Buildings table.

try something like this in the new virtual column of Buildings table,

SELECT(Peoples[Name],

[Building] = [_THISROW].[Building]

)

or (better one)

[Related Peoples][Name]

Also, don't for get to make the virtual column searchable.

That works just fine. Thanks a lot.

Top Labels in this Space