Search not looking at child records

LLD
Silver 2
Silver 2

I have two applications with similar structure, but used for entirely different purpose

In the first application, when I search, any text matches from child records automatically brings up the relevant parent record.

In the second application, search text matching the child record does not bring up the parent record.

Please advise

0 5 191
5 REPLIES 5

@LLD wrote:

In the first application, when I search, any text matches from child records automatically brings up the relevant parent record.

Consider whether what's actually matching is the value in the parent record's column that lists the keys from related child records. Maybe that key value is what's matching in one app, and maybe in the other app that key value doesn't match the search term.

no its not the key value I am searching for.. 

Application #1 has parent table "Tasks", which has child table - "TaskNotes", linked to parent table by key value TaskID

when I search in the Tasks view (table view), without using any filters.. my search text string need not match any of the column (field) contents in the parent table (Tasks), yet it finds matches in the "Notes" (type: Text) column of the child table; thereby filtering the list of parent records.

This does not happen in the other application.. I've checked linkages, I've checked column settings.. can't figure out what's different between the two apps

Does the Ref column in both child tables have the Is part of property enabled? Potentially, that governs whether a child table is included when searching the parent table it references.

Do the child table columns you expect to be able to search have the Searchable property enabled?

Yep, all done, but still not working. Strange!

REF_ROWS and Inline view would not work without "Is Part of" enabled; and I set that up almost by default for all my apps. 

Yes, Searchable is also enabled for the child table text column. 

App is in Prototype status, not Deployed (does this matter?)

@LLD wrote:

REF_ROWS and Inline view would not work without "Is Part of" enabled

Not the main point, but AFAIK that's not the case. I believe what Is part of is limited to whether child rows can be entered in a from a parent row's form view and whether child rows are deleted when a parent row is deleted.

@LLD wrote:

App is in Prototype status, not Deployed (does this matter?)

Seems doubtful, but you could try.

I just did some rough-and-ready testing. Here are my observations regarding relevant properties of child table column to enable those columns' data triggering inclusion of referenced parent rows when searching a parent table:

• Is part of is irrelevant.
  • Searchable must be enabled. (BTW, Searchable seems irrelevant for the parent table's [Related...] column.)
  • Label must be enabled.
Top Labels in this Space