Selling restricted applications to customers

Hi,
Is there a way to configure the distribution of an App so that when we sale the App to the customers they are just able to run it under their own environment (datasource and GDrive) but do not have access to the App definition, nor be able to copy the App?

After the sale we as creators should not have access to their data. But we should be able to provide App updates and support (in case they need it).

Regards

3 4 152
4 REPLIES 4

Simply make them just user on your account. Anything more and they can copy it.

You could create the App from a spreadsheet on their Google Account. Then once the App is build, remove you from the spreadsheet. But then you can still View Data in the table section. You could then set all required columns to โ€œSenstitive Dataโ€. But its a bit sill that youโ€™re having to hide the data yourself from you

The only secure way I can think of would be for them to cut and paste the data to another spreadsheet. But personally Iโ€™ve only have one company share their App with me and set anything as โ€œSensitive Dataโ€ and only one other got me to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Simon@1minManager.com

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

There is no way for you to retain exclusive control over the app config while also allowing them exclusive access to their data. So long as you have access to the app config, you have access to the data.

I am exploring Private Tables as an option, though future updates for the App that would require a Spreadsheet change will be a challenge. I am thinking maybe to later provide customers some Google Apps Script that would allow the user to update the Spreadsheet without having to do a manual intervention or maybe include a predefined set of additional columns in the tables, to use in the future if needed, keeping them โ€œwithout useโ€ until necesssary.

An additional limitation with Private Tables is that the tables are effectively created Per-User on first use, and as such, data could not be โ€œsharedโ€ among โ€œusersโ€ of the same โ€œcustomer companyโ€.

I have just found this interesting article regarding this subject:

But as you mentioned before, the method works but keeps control of the customers data.

Maybe is a feature request what I think would be needed: a way to provide a โ€œusableโ€ copy of an App without access to its definition as an option for Developers to provide general solutions apps.

AppSheet licenses would always be required for every user.

Private tables would be the solution youโ€™re looking for, but youโ€™ve already noticed the major problem with this setup

• YOU canโ€™t make changes to THEIR tables
    • But if you change the tables to update the appโ€ฆ THEY have to update their tables.

A script would helpโ€ฆ but youโ€™ve got to get them to install the script, and authorize it. And unless youโ€™re going to get the script approved, youโ€™ll have that giant red screen that scares everyone (saying your script isnโ€™t secure or signed, are you sure you want to allow this?).

Realistically thoughโ€ฆ if youโ€™ve got some technically minded users, that wouldnโ€™t mind the occasional modification to their sheets, you could make private tables work.

• They only need to make sure the columns are named the same, and in the same order.

• And that process is actually pretty straight-forwards - if communicated properly.
Top Labels in this Space