Send email issue

Hi, Im wanting to setup email notifications throughout my app, however im not off to a good start. I went into tasks, added a new task, set to send an email, set a table name, to address, subject and body text. I get an error when previewing. 

If I select my contacts table, then it does work, however all other tables fail, even selecting no table.

I have just found if I remove the to email address then it works on any table.

Can anyone please explain how this works?
Why does the To field filter the rows in the table?  I can't see any logic for relating the to field to the table?

clintinthecode_0-1660609455925.png

Error

Something has gone wrong!

The URL was: /template/previewemail?appId=Ixxxx-xxxxxxx&taskName=New%20Task&version=workingVersion

Could not find any row to populate the email preview.

0 2 251
2 REPLIES 2

Ive been through all the documentation and example projects. Still really struggling and getting no where, however im getting thinking I may be working out some things... even though documentation or anything else doesn't mention it.

Is it a requirement of sending an email that the table must contain a column containing email addresses? The only tables that seem to work for me are those with email addresses.

I am getting the feeling that Appsheet wants people to refer to users by email address and it required it to be setup like that for this to work?

If so in my opinion thats a bad data structure. I have a table of contacts, each has a unique contact id, and an email address along with all the other contact fields. The contact ID is the key of the table, not email address.

Throughout my app, anywhere im referencing the users contact ID, not their email. So on the notes table, a note is assigned to a users contact ID. I do this because a users email address might change, but that user is still the same person, they still have the same projects and data in the app, just changing to a different email address. (technically speaking according to app sheet they would be a different user as it goes by email address, however if my user changes from email 1 to email 2, they would still see all their data as if nothing changed, and Appsheet would show them as 2 seperate users in the account logs.

if this is true, I guess I can work around it by adding virtual columns to all tables with the emails of the users, eg the add virtual columns to the note table for the note authors email address, another for the assignee users email address, etc, this just seems wasteful and could decrease performance by adding a tonne of extra virtual columns. I would be adding about 40-50 virtual columns across 25 or so tables.

Further Update:

Ive added a bot and that worked. I can go to the task the bot created, hit preview and the preview works. I feel there's some bugs here as the task created doesn't preview, the one the bot made does preview yet they are the same

Top Labels in this Space