Send notification from one app to another

Hi there,

I have 2 apps that use the same database. The one called ADMIN is used to process inspections orders and another is used by the inspectors on the field ( INSPECTORS app ) 

The inspectors are NOT users in the ADMIN app. 

How can i trigger a notification in the INSPECTORS app once the inspection is added using the ADMIN app? Notification to the user to whom he inspections is assigned... 

Thank you

1 8 227
8 REPLIES 8

Would the following technique work? In the Inspectors app, create an automation that is triggered when a new row is added to the inspections table.

Since the row is not added using the same app, the automation is not triggered... 😞 

Right--of course. Sorry for not thinking of that.

You would need to create a scheduled automation to act periodically on any newly added rows or, more likely, use the external eventing that @Suvrutt_Gurjar noted.

I think @dbaum has correct suggestion.

@Bogdan_Stan wrote:

I have 2 apps that use the same database.

Since the database for the two apps is same, have you evaluated external eventing.

External eventing with Google Sheets - AppSheet Help

Interesting feature , the problem is that i use Ms Excel in One Drive for the database... I need Excel because i use a lot of VBA to extract data from.. 

Oh okay. Yes, external eventing needs Google sheets. 

You could investigate using VBA, Office Scripts, or Power Automate to perform an action that triggers a data change that AppSheet does detect--e.g., in a barebones table that is maintained in Google Sheets.

Nonetheless, it's probably easier to use the MS ecosystem to send the notification instead of figuring out how to send it through the app.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Have a bot in the ADMIN app use a webhook to reach out to the INSPECTORS app to trigger the INSPECTORS app to send a notification.

Top Labels in this Space