Server caching interval

Just found this and curious what it means
Can anybody explain it?
Seems to work only with Read Only Tables.

1 6 697
6 REPLIES 6

Using explanation from @tony… Your app will only try to read your table data when you sync your app. If you have server caching enabled, it will look to see if there’s a cached version available. If there is a cached version, it will check to make sure that it was fetched within the last caching interval (day, hour, etc). If the cached data is older than that, it will refresh it by reading your spreadsheet.

Thank you @Aleksi for the explanation.
Is this feature only available in the Business Plan?

Thanks Aleksi,
Should I use this feature to accelerate the synchronization time? I mean, reading cached version is faster than reading the spreadsheet? Is that significantly faster? Should I enable that for my read only tables of my Apps? Thanks!

@Fabian So AFAIK its only available in the business plan.

@Julien So ideal case for this would be where you had a huge Table that almost never changed. So you’d mark the Table as READ ONLY in Appsheet and set the Caching Internal to be the maximum - 1 day. So if that table took 5secs to read, your App would read it in the morning and from then on use the cached version. Saving 5secs per sync. But unless you pay big bucks for the Business Plan you’re stuck with it set at 5mins. Which given most people don’t sync every 3-4mins means setting a table to READ ONLY has almost no benefit whatsoever. As, at 5mins, your app will always check the entire table every sync.

Thanks for the explanation!

I understand that the option is only available to people on certain plans.  I am on a free plan so I can't use it -- even in template apps.  I can live with that.  But, I wonder why it seems to be completely absent from my options.  Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be greyed out with a little note about the need for an upgrade? Otherwise, how can people know what they're missing?  Also, when menu content is not consistent across plans, it makes following discussions like this one harder.

Top Labels in this Space