Set Row Value Action Isn't Working - Monitoring Application Won't Open Due to Timeout

Hello,

I have a Students1 table, and a SignUpSheet table. I want to create an an action that will set the columns in the Students1 table so they match what is in the SignUpSheet.

Right now, I’m just trying to pull the names. I tried this for the expression: Any([Related SignUpSheets][First Name]). When I “test” the action, it shows me the first name of each student, so it should work. But when I run the expression, no data is changed/updated. I also tried using this expression with the same results:

I tried to use the “Monitor” button to figure out what’s happening. But any time I try, I get this:

Any ideas or suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

0 7 165
7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

How did you do this?

This:

3X_e_a_ea95a5b1ff361b38831e321dfe26bf7f6b51f3dd.png

Just means the expression syntax is correct, not that it will produce the desired results. To actually test your expression, use this:

3X_3_5_35fc94e64c61faab302c7c15b43046624bd043c5.png

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. I did use the Test button you mentioned. When I did, it showed me a list of first name values that seemed correct. I didn’t include a screenshot of that, just of the formula that produced it. But now when I run the test, it doesn’t show the first name as it did before. It just tells me the event condition is true:

Not sure why that’s different now. I’ll keep messing with it.

Thank you,

Still can’t find anything that is wrong. I’ve tried making tons of small changes, with no luck. But no matter what I do, I did notice when I click “run” on the automation, it seems to be processing waaaaaaay longer than any other automation I’ve ever made. I don’t have any idea why it would take so long. I have lots of other automations that apply or reference these tables, and none seem to have this issue. And since I can’t monitor the process, I can’t find the problem.

It’s not very clear what exactly you have set up.

I imagine a Bot, with a schedule-driven Event, with ForEveryRecord switched on, that runs a data-change Action using the expression in your first post? Is that what you’re doing?

You’re talking about two different “test” buttons here, on two different expressions. One expression is for the data change Action, and one is the condition on the Event.

In either case I think it’s pretty strange that the Monitor app is timing out. Have you tried to open it again recently? Maybe it was just a temporary issue?

Hi Mark. You’re right. I should have included more detail about the different parts of the bot. And yep, it’s a bot, with a schedule-driven Event, set to run ForEveryRecord, that runs a data-change action.

And thanks for explaining about the “test” button.

I just tried again, and the Monitor app is still timing out. I’ve opened a ticket with AppSheet Support. I’ll report back if we figure out the issue.

Thank you.

So does the Action itself work? Could you just manually bulk-select all records and run the Action from the app, instead of running a Bot? Is this just a one-time thing to get all old records updated? Can you just do it in the backend GSheet, with a vlookup or index/match formula?

Hi Mark,

I just tried the bulk-select, and that seems to work. Thank you for that suggestion. Unfortunately, it’s not a one-time thing. Students will be signing up over a period of several weeks.

However, it is a one-time thing for each particular student/record. Originally I wanted to just set an initial value for these columns, but could never get it to work. I think because any formula would have to reference the student record, and it can’t reference it at the point it’s created.

Top Labels in this Space