Set Row Value Action Isn't Working - Monitoring Application Won't Open Due to Timeout

Hello,

I have a Students1 table, and a SignUpSheet table. I want to create an an action that will set the columns in the Students1 table so they match what is in the SignUpSheet.

Right now, Iโ€™m just trying to pull the names. I tried this for the expression: Any([Related SignUpSheets][First Name]). When I โ€œtestโ€ the action, it shows me the first name of each student, so it should work. But when I run the expression, no data is changed/updated. I also tried using this expression with the same results:

I tried to use the โ€œMonitorโ€ button to figure out whatโ€™s happening. But any time I try, I get this:

Any ideas or suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

0 7 162
7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

How did you do this?

This:

3X_e_a_ea95a5b1ff361b38831e321dfe26bf7f6b51f3dd.png

Just means the expression syntax is correct, not that it will produce the desired results. To actually test your expression, use this:

3X_3_5_35fc94e64c61faab302c7c15b43046624bd043c5.png

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. I did use the Test button you mentioned. When I did, it showed me a list of first name values that seemed correct. I didnโ€™t include a screenshot of that, just of the formula that produced it. But now when I run the test, it doesnโ€™t show the first name as it did before. It just tells me the event condition is true:

Not sure why thatโ€™s different now. Iโ€™ll keep messing with it.

Thank you,

Still canโ€™t find anything that is wrong. Iโ€™ve tried making tons of small changes, with no luck. But no matter what I do, I did notice when I click โ€œrunโ€ on the automation, it seems to be processing waaaaaaay longer than any other automation Iโ€™ve ever made. I donโ€™t have any idea why it would take so long. I have lots of other automations that apply or reference these tables, and none seem to have this issue. And since I canโ€™t monitor the process, I canโ€™t find the problem.

Itโ€™s not very clear what exactly you have set up.

I imagine a Bot, with a schedule-driven Event, with ForEveryRecord switched on, that runs a data-change Action using the expression in your first post? Is that what youโ€™re doing?

Youโ€™re talking about two different โ€œtestโ€ buttons here, on two different expressions. One expression is for the data change Action, and one is the condition on the Event.

In either case I think itโ€™s pretty strange that the Monitor app is timing out. Have you tried to open it again recently? Maybe it was just a temporary issue?

Hi Mark. Youโ€™re right. I should have included more detail about the different parts of the bot. And yep, itโ€™s a bot, with a schedule-driven Event, set to run ForEveryRecord, that runs a data-change action.

And thanks for explaining about the โ€œtestโ€ button.

I just tried again, and the Monitor app is still timing out. Iโ€™ve opened a ticket with AppSheet Support. Iโ€™ll report back if we figure out the issue.

Thank you.

So does the Action itself work? Could you just manually bulk-select all records and run the Action from the app, instead of running a Bot? Is this just a one-time thing to get all old records updated? Can you just do it in the backend GSheet, with a vlookup or index/match formula?

Hi Mark,

I just tried the bulk-select, and that seems to work. Thank you for that suggestion. Unfortunately, itโ€™s not a one-time thing. Students will be signing up over a period of several weeks.

However, it is a one-time thing for each particular student/record. Originally I wanted to just set an initial value for these columns, but could never get it to work. I think because any formula would have to reference the student record, and it canโ€™t reference it at the point itโ€™s created.

Top Labels in this Space