Set automatically the focus on a search field

Dear all,

I'm quite new in AppSheet and I don't know if what I want to do is possible or not...

I'm developping an Inventory app. When the logisticians are choosing a location in the warehouse, it displays this screen :

Selection of a locationSelection of a location

The goal for them - in order to save time because they have thousands of articles to count - is to get directly the screen below - without the need to manually select the search area - and having directly the keyboard enabled :

Screenshot_20231012_101535_AppSheet.jpg

It will definitely ease the process and enable us to be more effcient during the inventory check.

Thanks for your help.

Kim

Solved Solved
0 10 351
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh okay.  I know it sounds a little extended but in that case you could consider options such as combining two or three  letters as shown below. It is similar as in a landline phone instrument's each digit accompanied by 3--4 letters.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1697206361391.png

The image is from Wikipedia at page Telephone keypad - Wikipedia

Based on your use case description, it sounds that it may still be a better option than locating the search window, opening the mobile keyboard and moving around the entire keyboard  to punch in the desired combination. 

Of course, you are the best judge of what is ultimately best for your users.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1697206113735.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@kvocat wrote:

The goal for them - in order to save time because they have thousands of articles to count - is to get directly the screen below - without the need to manually select the search area

Is your goal to simply show a reduced list of locations so there is no scrolling and no need to search?

If so, then YES you can do this using the Valid_If property in the column definition and inserting an expression that selects only the desired/valid locations. 

BUT....you need to know how to reduce the list.   When a user is activating that dropdown list, how does the app "know" which locations it should reduce the list to?  For example, maybe a user is assigned a list of locations they are responsible for.  We can then use that list to filter the dropdown to just those assigned to this user.

Do you have some criteria in your app that allows for location filtering based on the user?

Example Location column with an expression that filters the list of choices

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.21.00 AM.png

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Our goal is not to reduce the list of locations, but to activate automatically the keyboard to allow the logistician to enter the place where he has to count the material...

Thanks for your help.

Kim

Just some thoughts.. have you ever thought to approach the inventory app differently? What about if you have one table view where you have all your items. Then one inline action button that opens a form showing just one qty column with buttons. Now your users could use the search functionality to show only those items that belongs to this location. Then you would need to click 3 times.. press the action button > press the qty > press save. When the inventory is complete, generate the report and reset qty column totally. I have used this approach with few clients.

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, our items are not necessarily recorded by location. The aim of this inventory is also to accurately map the location of each product. That's why we need the location as the first criterion, then the product and finally the quantity. It's also why we'd like to have the keyboard displayed automatically when we get to the location search screen...

The locations seem to be in the pattern of  A-01 .... , B-01.....,  C01..... and within each letter prefix there are 4 to 5 options. If you have say 15-30 locations at the most, then you could consider two step button type enums.  The first button allows the user to select the prefix and the second button to select actual warehouse location.

Since the stepwise buttons limit the selection options for the user, he need not even have the keyboard available. The user can simply tap on the enum option. Secondly the user need not utilize the search option at all. 

Also tapping on the little bigger buttons in the app is much better than typing among many alphanumeric keys and other special keys on the keyboard. Sample below

Location Select.gif

Additional reference article for building dependent dropdowns:

Dependent drop-downs - AppSheet Help

It seems to be a good idea when you have few locations. In our case, we have more than 120 locations... We use almost all the letters of the alphabet... 

Oh okay.  I know it sounds a little extended but in that case you could consider options such as combining two or three  letters as shown below. It is similar as in a landline phone instrument's each digit accompanied by 3--4 letters.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1697206361391.png

The image is from Wikipedia at page Telephone keypad - Wikipedia

Based on your use case description, it sounds that it may still be a better option than locating the search window, opening the mobile keyboard and moving around the entire keyboard  to punch in the desired combination. 

Of course, you are the best judge of what is ultimately best for your users.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1697206113735.png

Yes, I think we can combine two or three  letters, even if we have to change some locations defintions in our warehouse... 

Thanks a lot !!!

Just a thought. Would using barcode help since your logisticians seem to use a mobile device.

The use of barcode is planned in the next version of our ERP, next year... but we have to do the inventory before the end of this year... no chance.

Top Labels in this Space