Show If having no effect

Hello,

I'm finding it impossible to get columns to hide in a table view.

Relevant info:

I have a list/table of employees.

I have enum columns for each month of the year with options "N" and "Y".

I have virtual columns for each month of the year to house inline actions.

I have a view with the employee name, then each month's virtual column followed by the month column. Ex: Name - VC(Jan) - Jan - VC(Feb) - Feb ....etc.

I have two actions per month that are setup to change the value of the respective month to either "N" or "Y" and these actions are inline on the virtual column for their respective month. These actions are also set to only show if MONTH(TODAY()) is equal to the month after. Ex: For January's actions: MONTH(TODAY())=2.

The actions are hiding correctly. For example, because the current month is January, or 1, I can only see the actions for December.

My problem is I've tried setting the virtual columns that the inline actions are on to have Show If conditions set up the same way as the actions. I want the virtual columns to also disappear if their month is not "next month". So with the current month being January, the only virtual column (and actions) that show would be December.

The virtual columns are there, acting as blank space because the actions are hiding properly. I even tried bringing in a new virtual column with a formula of "", type Text, no inline actions, and a Show If of FALSE. The column will not hide itself.

Also, I can guarantee, as I've checked it multiple times, that the "Apply show-if constraints universally" is toggled on.

I could understand if inline actions will cause a column to not hide, but having a virtual column tied to absolutely nothing and still refusing to hide has me completely lost!

Solved Solved
0 2 109
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The functionality to Conditionally show or hide a column value (Show_If) - AppSheet Help applies only to the column value--not the column itself, including the column heading. As you're observing, that's directly apparent in table type views, although it's masked in some other view types where a column heading does not display if the current row has no value for the column.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The functionality to Conditionally show or hide a column value (Show_If) - AppSheet Help applies only to the column value--not the column itself, including the column heading. As you're observing, that's directly apparent in table type views, although it's masked in some other view types where a column heading does not display if the current row has no value for the column.

Thank you! Apparently I had not read as finely as I should have regarding Show If. Honestly I think this should have been more obvious to me considering I have an unrelated column using a Show If pertaining to the row's value. I had noticed this, but somehow failed to make this connection. Thanks again!

Top Labels in this Space