Show a portion of ref column from other table.

Trying to select and show only a portion of a ref column  from a different table in my app. I am using table "Vehicle Info" [Tow VEhicle Type] which is a ref type.  I want to pull the results from the column  the table "ConfigRefTable" [VEHConfig] as long as the rows indicted by  the numbers 1, 1 and 2, or 3  in the column "ConfigRefTable" [Truck_Tractor_Trailer] . 

I am trying this expression 

SELECT(ConfigRefTable[Vehicle Configuration],OR([Truck_Tractor_Trailer]="1",[Vehicle Configuration]=""))

I am ppretty sure I am close, but probably have a simple thing wrong. Assistance would be greatly apprecaited. and Thanks in advance again.

Solved Solved
0 9 166
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the screenshots, they help a lot. 

You have yellow triangle because you are trying to reference the "Vehicle Configuration" column which is not your key column. Please read this: References Between Tables.

Anyway, I understand that each vehicle can have only one of many types. Among the possible types, you are interested only in three of them: type "1", type "1 and 2" and type "3". For this, you should do the following: 

1. Change your "Tow Vehicle Type" column to Ref pointing to your ConfigRef table, instead of Enumlist.

2. In the Valid if  field put this expression:

FILTER(ConfigRefTable, IN([Truck_Tractor_Trailer], LIST("1", "1 and 2", "3")))

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Would you please restate your criteria in a clearer way? You need the rows where the value in "Truck_Tractor_Trailer" is 1 or 2 or 3? is this what you want?

I have a column list of different vehicle configurations in ConfigRefTable [ Vehicle Configuration]. I can get a button list if I just make VehicleInfo[Tow Vehicle type] a ref type. I want to only show the results of [Vehicle Configuration] if the corresponding row value in [Truck_Tractor_Trailer] is either 1, 1 and 2, or 3. vale 1 is to indicate trucks, 1 and 2 would indicate trucks and tractors, while value 3 indicates trailers. I want to use other date in the selected row further in the app for other configuration details. So I guess I want to be able to sort and show only the items in the [VehicleConfiguration] colum, if a previous selection calls for type 1, 1 and 2, or type 3. I hope that cleared things up..... 

And the values in Truck tractor trailer are already in place in the appropriate rows 

Based on your description:

SELECT(ConfigRefTable[Vehicle Configuration],  
  IN([Truck_Tractor_Trailer], LIST("1", "1 and 2", "3"))
)

If this doesn't give you the desired result, please post a screenshot of your ConfigRefTable configuration. 

Hope this helps, 

screen.png

The form view gives me lots of yellow triangles

form view.jpg

And the one table

VEHconfig table.png

Thanks for the screenshots, they help a lot. 

You have yellow triangle because you are trying to reference the "Vehicle Configuration" column which is not your key column. Please read this: References Between Tables.

Anyway, I understand that each vehicle can have only one of many types. Among the possible types, you are interested only in three of them: type "1", type "1 and 2" and type "3". For this, you should do the following: 

1. Change your "Tow Vehicle Type" column to Ref pointing to your ConfigRef table, instead of Enumlist.

2. In the Valid if  field put this expression:

FILTER(ConfigRefTable, IN([Truck_Tractor_Trailer], LIST("1", "1 and 2", "3")))

YES!!!!!! thanks, and I can make the trailer type row the same, just use "3" And that will probably work in several other places that I have the same ty

Top Labels in this Space