'Show if' restriction not working on a View if the View is used in 'Starting View'

I have restricted access (to specific Users) to a View using expression in the 'Show if'. However if that View is included as 'Starting View' of the App then above restriction do not apply when the App is loaded for the first time in a device. The above restriction should have been applied.

Solved Solved
0 8 97
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @SanjivAgarwal 

Did you try using the flask icon to reproduce a condition that will match your expectations?

Aurelien_0-1713279937536.png

Aurelien_1-1713279975615.png

For reference:

SWITCH() - AppSheet Help

IFS() - AppSheet Help

Please note the Starting view only apply on the very first connection of the user.

Choose the launch page for an app - AppSheet Help

View settings: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Aurelien_2-1713280128682.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

What type of view is it and what is your Show If condition?

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @SanjivAgarwal 

Did you try using the flask icon to reproduce a condition that will match your expectations?

Aurelien_0-1713279937536.png

Aurelien_1-1713279975615.png

For reference:

SWITCH() - AppSheet Help

IFS() - AppSheet Help

Please note the Starting view only apply on the very first connection of the user.

Choose the launch page for an app - AppSheet Help

View settings: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Aurelien_2-1713280128682.png

@Aurelien thank you.. No I did not use flask icon and Switch() (as shown by you) in the Starting View for restricting access.

Your reply affirns one of my conclusion. I also concluded that option available to me is to change the starting view to a no restriction view for example an App Launch View.

And from your reply I understood that, Or else I need to apply the restriction on Starting View too.

Hi @SanjivAgarwal 

@SanjivAgarwal wrote:

I need to apply the restriction on Starting View too

This is not necessary.

From my understanding, you just need to set conditions on your views (if you wish to prevent users from accessing it), and use a SWITCH() or IFS() expression to make the user start his experience on the right view.

Ok understood. Thank you.

So you mean the button to open the view is still visible even the Show? should hide it?

Yes visible till the user selects any of the authorised view.

As mentioned by @Aurelien the starting view works upon initial loading of view, I ended up also setting a rule on show_if for each individual view to ensure if a user somehow lands on a role restricted view page, its blank until user selects next authorised view.

Top Labels in this Space