Show if valid

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if you know an expression to check if a column is valid. For example, I need a show if but only if the previous column has a valid value, not just if it's not blank.

Thank you for your answers.

Solved Solved
0 7 280
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You can set the exactly same expression in Show-if that you have for the valid if of the column you want to test.

View solution in original post

Supposing that having two copies of valid if's is causing your performance issue, then what MultiTech suggests in the discussion @Marc_Dillon  pointed to might solve your issue.

This of course requires the following three computations but hopefully that would be less resource intensive than having two full blown valid ifs..

1. Original valid if in a new VC - this is absolutely required 

2. The value of the VC in the original column's valid if field - hopefully minimal computation required

3. The value of the VC in the subsequent column's show-if field - hopefully minimal computation required

TeeSee1_0-1674628211511.png

Would be interested to know how this would go..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You can set the exactly same expression in Show-if that you have for the valid if of the column you want to test.

Hello @TeeSee1, I have tried this but it generates formulas that end up impacting the performance of my app since, in many cases, I use count(Select()) to determine the validity of the data. Something like ShowIfValid should exist and point to a column.

Supposing that having two copies of valid if's is causing your performance issue, then what MultiTech suggests in the discussion @Marc_Dillon  pointed to might solve your issue.

This of course requires the following three computations but hopefully that would be less resource intensive than having two full blown valid ifs..

1. Original valid if in a new VC - this is absolutely required 

2. The value of the VC in the original column's valid if field - hopefully minimal computation required

3. The value of the VC in the subsequent column's show-if field - hopefully minimal computation required

TeeSee1_0-1674628211511.png

Would be interested to know how this would go..

Wouldn't adding a VC slow down the app more?

I believe it depends on the complexity of the app formula behind the vc.

In the scheme proposed by MultiTech, the two extra formulas should have minimal computation requirement (just retrieving the value of the added VC) and hopefully this will not degrade performance by much...

What I was able to understand and apply is a VC with a recognizable name that also contains a ValidIf formula. Then in the Valid if of the column that I want, I point to that VC to make queries, for example, to verify the non-existence of another row with a different ID that contains the same data.

Since the column has a valid but is now a Count that points to the a VC. When I have to insert YES/NO conditions in the Show If, it is much easier to place the validity calculation of the previous column, in this way, than to do a Count(Select()) query again for each show if

Below, when the verification appears, I do not get performance hit notes. I suspect that it has to do with the fact that it is no longer necessary to calculate a new list with requirements in each show if, but rather it always points to the same VC.

Surely I could be wrong but I have noticed that those poor performance notes no longer appear.

@Gustavo_Eduardo wrote:

Something like ShowIfValid should exist and point to a column.

I agree.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/New-expression-ISVALID-column/idi-p/419773

Top Labels in this Space