Sideways Images wont rotate

Hello everyone. For the past 4 years, I have been using this app to track all the seniors in my high school, for the various things they need to pay for. This year, for whatever reason, when I import the student images, their pictures are sideways. The pictures are not sideway on the original file. I have tried everything to remedy this. I changed the file type to png, i resaved them. Just about every trick I read, still it will not switch to up and down. Am i missing something here?

0 16 768
16 REPLIES 16

Hi @Phillip_Panfili,
Which device are you using to take the pictures?

Im uploading them from a file…

And the original picture is taken using a camera?
Which device are you using to upload the files?

Originals are taking with a camera. I am saving the files in Google Drive, and then creating the link as such

appsheet/data/cg/999945828_Angel_Abreu-Peralta.jpg

Now I can’t get the images to even come through at all

Would you mind if I take a look in your app?

I would not…now I have them coming thru
but they are sideways again
i tried one by one

How can i send it to you

I just need the app’s name.

2020 Senior Class

Just when i think it is working, it just starts going sideways again.

The first few I got in.

@Phillip_Panfili, I’m still investigating the missing images, but as for the sideways images, it seems like your camera is using EXIF data to declare the image’s orientation, however we ignore the EXIF data when we display images. When images are uploaded through the app, we try to make sure the image is rotated properly, but since you’re uploading the image outside of the app, it ends up in the wrong orientation.
It may be possible to change this in your camera’s setting for future images.
Otherwise, I’m afraid you’ll have to use third party tools to rotate the image.

What third party tool do you prefer…as of now, it seems I have to open each image and re-save it. Which I don’t want to do as that will take some time to do.

When you say resave, do you mean you upload the image again from the app?

I’ve looked into the missing images, and it seems like those images are not found in your google drive. Is it possible you have moved or deleted those images at some point?
Could you please look at your sheet and verify that the images are actually in the location written in the sheet?

The images were moved. The only way I can get them to go straight is to open the image on windows in Photoshop…i then re-save the image and upload it back to gdrive. Then it comes in straight. This is a major pain to do over and over again.

Sounds like PS is rotating the image when you save and getting rid of the EXIF data, which is what you’ll need to do in to have your photos displayed correctly in AppSheet.
Unfortunately, I can’t think of any easier way to do this.

I figured it out. I bulk converted them to PNG…then it worked

IrfanView has a good Batch Converter.

Top Labels in this Space