Slice Column Re-ordering | Needs to be easier to reset

MultiTech_0-1696699329826.png

The slice column sorting interaction style is nice and all, with the ever so popular "drag and drop" 

But consider what happens, UX wise, in the following scenario:

• Your table has 100+ columns
  • You just added 7 new columns, a whole new sub-section, at the front of the table

Where are the column when you come back to the slice that already existed?

• All the new columns are added at the bottom ๐Ÿ‘€

If I want these columns back where the should be, I have to go through one by one and individually move each one to where they're supposed to be?

• Click on each one, dragging it up in the list, OH not too far, okay just down a little more, nope up one... there we go.  Okay next.

It would be very helpful to have a button to: Reset Order

• Or how about: Show All (since I have no need for special anything on this slice)

As it stands.... it's a lot of manual one-by-one adjusting, which is kind of a deterrent to add new things to the front of my table.

• If this is what I'm going to have to do each time... I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
  • Instead of feeling the freedom to make these adjustments, now I have to weight how long it will take me to "fix things."
  • This inhibits the creative process, as there's now an artificial barrier in place

The old style for slice UX used to have a toggle "All Columns" / "Custom"

I think a hybrid combining the new style, which is handy when you need it but prohibitive when you don't, and the old style would produce a nice Goldilocks type of UX.

• You might bring back the "Show All" toggle
    • This would allow me to not have to deal with any of these special things for slices if I don't need to.

• When "Custom" is selected, you might introduce a button to "Reset order"

These small adjustments to the slice UX would have significant efficiency and workflow improvement ripples down-stream.

5 2 135
2 REPLIES 2

ccce5ba0-0f72-4bef-856d-5bab06901418

Took so long the gif recorder reached it's limit! haha

And I didn't get them in the correct place!  (Gah!)

1922f367-d26b-439f-90ef-eaf10c87a905

________________________________________________________________________________

You can see how this is a lot of "fiddly stuff" for just getting back to square one - the columns are in the same order they are in the table.

I agree,

AND....It would be nice if this could extend to ALL column ordering functionality - e.g. Views and Actions.  They should all include and behave somewhat consistently with functions like Add All, Remove All, targeted insertion (instead of inserting at end and dragging up) and Reset (returning to order state as of last save).

Top Labels in this Space